If 1914 gets tossed

by Leathercrop 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leathercrop
    Leathercrop

wonder when was the last time they repeated the 1914 77week 2000+ years from 607 doctrine? Should be easy enough to check. Is the strategy not not address the problem and hope if it’s never mentioned the problem will go away?

Seems that way from what I'm reading here. I remember the whole thing with the generation doctrine changing in the early 90s. Almost 30 years ago. That was the beginning of the changing in the thinking regarding 1914, looking back now. 30 years later, it seems the updating of this 1914 doctrine slowly continues then. And it may continue to update for many more. Talk about the "long game".

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

From a religious history standpoint, certain doctrines appear to be identifying and defining. But from the standpoint of truly invested members, loyalty trumps any changes in doctrine. We were, and millions still are, willing to sacrifice our families out of a misplaced sense of loyalty. I've said it before doctrine only matters so much. It differentiates one group from another, but the reason people embrace and remain JWs is the sense of belonging and security. It's generally only when a person begins to feel in some respect isolated from the group that rational discussions about doctrine and policy begin to matter.

So, IMO, if they can spin it as a positive and continue to reinforce the sense of group loyalty, most anything can be changed. I'm sure they could decide Yahweh is the correct name of God and it would be fine. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit