#1 ANSWER THIS: Why would an omnibenevolent and omniscient god put us through tests of faith?

by EdenOne 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I always thought the official company line was - "God does not test us. He allows us to be tested."

Satan challenged God's authority. In order to save face with creation, God accepted the challenge and now mankind suffers to appease God's ego.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

He wouldn't.

• blondie
    blondie

According to the WTS, the angels were tested until 1914 when god allowed access to heaven to Satan and his followers. Then in 1914 their final test came with a battle between Jesus and the faithful angels and Satan and his followers in heaven to be cast down to earth for a future destruction.

Just reporting not supporting

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why would an omnibenevolent and omniscient god put us through tests of faith?

In order for me to believe in that God..

I would have to believe in an "Unintelligent Supreme Being"..

Jehov-Duh God

..............................."DUH"...........................

Image result for crazy angel

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good question, EdenOne.

If I'm honest, I have no answer.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

GE 22:1-12, DT 8:2 God tempts (tests) Abraham and Moses.
    JG 2:22 God himself says that he does test (tempt).
    1CO 10:13 Paul says that God controls the extent of our temptations.
    JA 1:13 God tests (tempts) no one.

Contradictions?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EDEN ONE:

I have a problem with the idea of a God who feels we have to undergo tests to prove how worthy we are.

I always felt the story of Job was an unnecessary cruelty to allow a puny human to be victimized by spirit beings. The human would never have a chance. All this story did was lay the groundwork for a culture of victimization in the Jehovah's Witness religion.

It led to the mentality that you should just "take" things from people in the religion and it led to a lot of abuse from arrogant and delusional individuals.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Please keep in mind my own agnosticism. I'm not taking sides here, merely instigating debate.

I think modern judaism makes a much better job at coming up with a concept of 'god' that is more consistent with the reality of this world. However, by making explicit reference to 'omnibenevolence' and 'omniscience' as traits of the divinity, I am referencing clearly a god that a certain strain of christianity believes in, one that JW's would subscribe to.

I don't see how a divinity allowing a quarter of a million people to be killed by a tsunami and then use that (either on purpose or opportunistically, either way, with variable degrees of accountability) to test the faith of the remaining humanity can still be considered 'omnibenevolent'.

Outlaw - I would have to believe in an "Unintelligent Supreme Being"..

LOL!

t_b_k - Satan challenged God's authority. In order to save face with creation, God accepted the challenge and now mankind suffers to appease God's ego.

So what does that tell us about god's 'omnibenevolence'?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Please keep in mind my own agnosticism. I'm not taking sides here, merely instigating debate.

Really?

You looks like an atheist to me.

If you really reached agnosticism then the only thing you must be concerned is the Pascal's wager.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

i've accepted my agnosticism, but doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it.

I would LOVE that a big loving daddy in the sky would welcome me to heaven after my physical death. Why not?

I just don't see any convincing evidence. Actually, all unequivocal evidence supports the contrary. Yet, I leave room for doubt.

And just before you strum the old mantra "you are a follower of scientism because you only accept evidence through the scientific method", that's a strawman argument, because you are misrepresenting my position. Just because I don't accept magical thinking and appeal to supernatural causation doesn't mean I fall into the category you desire to put me in. Another straw man argument is to define "atheism" as denial of god's existence. Most atheists won't subscribe to that statement.

Now, you can chose between making your contribution to the debate, or derail the debate by questioning my worldview. Your choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit