Are donations still being asked for in the door to door ministry?

by ToesUp 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

For you guys and gals still in. Do you still ask for donations when placing magazines and books?

• cobweb
    cobweb

Interesting question. Those mags are so flimsy its hard to believe being asked to pay. Maybe for a book. Do they still offer large books door to door?

• blondie
    blondie

Officially only for the worldwide work not directly for any publications. It confuses people at the door that still think publications = money.

But you find that many jws only ask for money if people take publications not when they don't.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

It's hard to ask for a donation when the 'air time' for showing videos is free-right?

just saying!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Haha! Interesting question because it actually depends on which country you are in!

The general answer is: Yes, the rank and file are expected to mention the donation arrangement in the door-to-door ministry.'

CLAM Workbook March 2016

March 21-27

Initial Call: wp16.2 16—Mention the donation arrangement. (2 min. or less)

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/jw-meeting-workbook/march-2016-mwb/meeting-schedule-mar21-27/

But, there are exceptions with how it is done

Letter: All Bodies of Elders 12 January 2016

Re: March Issue of the Life and Ministry—Meeting Workbook

From time to time, it may be necessary for us to write to each Congregation giving guidance on specific parts in the Life and Ministry Meeting Workbook. For example, during the week of March 21-27, under the section “Apply Yourself to the Field Ministry," the "Initial Call" assignment directs the student to mention the donation arrangement. As a reminder, in Britain and Ireland, we do not ordinarily raise the matter of donations unless the householder asks. Therefore, in this scenario the householder should enquire about the funding of our work and the student can then provide details regarding the donation arrangement.

https://wtsarchive.com/cfs/files/covers/p9aCZgRcCRHjaprfA/2016_1_12_BOE_Page_1.jpg?token=eyJhdXRoVG9rZW4iOiIifQ%3D%3D&store=covers-original

I believe it is a legal red-tape thing in Britain - they can offer to 'sell' something for money at the door with no problem, but they can't simply ask for money at the door.

Please correct me - as I haven't got the time to research any web links - and feel free to give it to me with both barrels!

I've always understood that is why charity collectors in Britain often have a little sticker, pin or badge (or poppy) with them which they can offer to you - ie they can initiate the contact with you - and then they can ask if you'd like to contribute.

Also, as a side issue, I believe charity street-collectors are not meant to 'shake-the-tin' either.

Mind you, I don't believe the above is really enforced.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I was not aware that the practice had been quietly phased out in Britain. I think it hit the skids years ago however, nobody even thinks of asking for donations and haven't in a decade.

I think that the expectation for the flock to contribute to the WWW made it just a sop. The good old boys get their cash anyway. We give everything else for free, our labour our time our obedience, public contributions were only ever a joke. Even in the days of literature "sales", the flock bought the literature (no credit) and the son got paid even if they stayed in the bag or on the shelf. Now they get everything! What has changed?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I was not aware that the practice had been quietly phased out in Britain

I believe it has always been the case from when the 'new' donation arrangment was introduced - which is why Britain was so late in adopting the donation arrangment compared to other (including European) countries. Always surprised foreign JW visitors a bit when they wanted to get some magazines from the KH/Bethel and they had to PAY for them!

I think it hit the skids years ago however, nobody even thinks of asking for donations and haven't in a decade.

haha - never a truer word!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Frankly, I'm surprised the JW-org website doesn't have a PayPal link, yet. :smirk:

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

They prob trying to develop and launch their own version of paypal, then there'll be a link!

• blondie
    blondie

I'll restate what I said, there are no laws against asking for money at door in the US; the WTS just wants you to make it for the worldwide work not directly tied to taking a publication. Even jws have problems wrapping their head around it. My husband asked an MS why he never mentioned donating to the worldwide work at the door. MS: I only ask for money when they take a publication."

Duh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit