When The 'Tower Is Mentioned In A Will

by NotFormer 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I assume someone from WT attends the reading of the will. Who is it? An elder, a CO, some especially selected person from the branch under whose purview this sort of thing is maintained?

What is the procedure?

• Listener
    Listener

In Australia there is no formal reading of the Will. I imagine this only occurs if someone requests it. The executor of the Will would decide that or it may be a required act listed in the Will.

The executor of the Will, who had been appointed by the deceased is required to execute it in accordance to the deceased’s written instructions. If the Watchtower has been left anything they may or may not know.

From what I’ve read, it is the Branch office that overseas anything left to the Watchtower and they could use anyone in the organisation to assist with it. That’s if it is necessary, The executor may be able to deal with it directly with the branch.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

What about in the USA? Who turns up at the will reading to represent the WT?

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I recall some local elders being asked to attend when a reading of a will was stipulated. A few large estates left WTC sizeable amounts, but no one from the Branch was invited. The deceased only knew local elders who maintained a relationship with them through their final years.

I recall one state left to the congregation. Soon, the Branch took that in the great money grab a few years ago.

I have specifically stipulated that none of my estate should go to WTC or any JWs who might pass money onto WTC. They would have to sign a statement vowing not to leave WTC anything also so that no comingled money could end up in WTC;s account.

• Listener
    Listener

Thomas More, where do I sign☺️

• blondie
    blondie

Wills (WTS directions)

WILLS: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Society by means of a legally executed will. A copy should be sent to the Society. (w88 12/1, p.28)

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I suppose the main reason is my propensity towards silly humour. I was wondering if anyone ever had a WT representative turn up to a will reading, only for the will to say, in no uncertain terms, "Piss off!" to the WBTS?

There's at least one petty revenge story on YouTube about people doing something similar to churches who showed them no concern while sick, but wanted a cut of the estate.

• scary21
    scary21

I remember in the mid 80's a close friend of my mother's and a wonderful person to me as a young girl died. She left everything to the Watchtower. I remember I was very poor at the time and needed a dining table and chairs. I inquired how much it would be , thinking it would be affordable.

Nope they wanted $750. Really, it was outrageous. I guess someone bought it because, you know, the money was going to the WT

I just bought my daughter a much nicer set in 2023 on Market Place for $180 40 years later..( just for comparison) SAD AND GREEDY !

• blondie
    blondie

NotFormer, a will is a legal document and can't just be ignored. The WTS has brought a lawsuit against jw and non-jw relatives when they don't follow the will's direction.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I had a JW Aunt who left 1.5 million to Watchtower in real estate. Zero to any family members.

She died a couple of years ago. Since some distant family members had moved into her home to care for her the last few years...they simply kept living in the home and never made a sound to Watchtower. lol. :)

As long as they don't sell and pay the bills...they will never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit