Matt Dillahunty From The Atheist Experience vs A Jehovah's Witness

by pale.emperor 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The JWS religion is rooted in fear mongering corrupt charlatanism.

That is the only " Truth "

• jws
    jws

redpilltwice wrote:

The difficulty with this move was that by the 1940's historians had proven that Babylon fell in 539 B.C.

And I think that's what the JWs believe now too. But, they say, Cyrus conquered Bablyon in 539 BC and it took the Jews a couple of years to pack and stumble their way back to Jerusalem. So, 537 is still right.

They completely overlook Jeremiah 25:12

“But when the seventy years are fulfilled, I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians, for their guilt,” declares the Lord, “and will make it desolate forever.

There is an order of events here.

1. Seventy years fulfilled
    2. Punishment of the king of Babylon.

They agree Babylon was overthown in 539 BC and the Babylonian king killed. That's #2 above. So #1 had to come in or prior to 539 BC, not 2 years later. How was the king of Babylon supposed to be punished 2 years after he already died. I thought the Witnesses don't believe in an afterlife. So tell me how he was punished in 537 BC when he died in 539 BC.

Of course, they can't. It's just all tricks they're trying to play to make the math work out to a year they think significant. And despite evidence to the contrary, they still claim the world changed in some major way in 1914.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS exploited the ignorance by the general public regarding the final destruction date of ancient Jerusalem which is greatly supported by secular knowledge and of the scriptural bible. (586 BCE being the real date)

As well of the teaching and instructions given by Jesus for preaching his New Kingdom order.

Its a corrupt religious publishing house and has always been one.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So tell me how he was punished in 537 BC when he died in 539 BC.

The JWS state the total time of desolation which they calculate 537 - 70 = 607 BCE

The facts are Jerusalem was over taken in approximately 607 to 605 BCE, when the new king of Babylon Nebuchadnezzar took to the throne in 605 BCE from his father.

He inserted a series of new king(s) to be subservient to him as vassalage statehood and started to take slaves to Babylon.

In his 19th year of rule he finally destroyed Jerusalem along with its temple and the surrounding lands, this is also quoted in the bible.

• jws
    jws
    The JWS state the total time of desolation which they calculate 537 - 70 = 607 BCE

Right, Finkelstein, but even the JWs agree that Babylon was overthrown in 539BC. Or they were saying that when I left in the 90's. But they have to make the end of 70 years (starting in 607 BC end in 537 BC). Kind of a problem if the king died in 539 BC. So as I recall, I remember them making up some story about the Jews not returning home right away. And it took 2 years to move back and THAT was when the 70 years were up. Contrary to Jer 25:12

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

She is the perfect JW candidate and an example of what happens when you accept things based upon how they make you feel and then surround yourself with others who agree with what you want to hear and nobody asks questions. It all sounds/feels good and therefore seems to make sense until someone dares to go off script and ask some real questions.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Even as a FULLY IN ELDER - I always HATED when JWs called it the TRUTH.

I always had this thing in my mind, that if it WAS the TRUTH, it wouldn't be changing constantly.

Truth doesn't change.

And when I was realy starting to have doubts, I though it was so strange when NEW LIGHT came out that INVALIDATED what be KNEW WAS TRUE for year, and people would be SOOOOO HAPPY about it.

Instead of thinking (AT BEST) I was believing and preaching an apostate idea for all these years.

Up to the point of - REALLY did it take GOD 100 years to tell us who the REAL FDS was?

Wouldn't that be like the 1st thing to get set strait?

Wouldn't that mean that we were taught doctrine for 100 years by people who were possibly NOT part of the FDS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit