Should I send Xmas Cards to JW family? Open for debate.

by one_ugly_time 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

I say yes.

Really, what is wrong with it?

Is it morally or ethically wrong? Is it against your conscience? Is it disrespectful?

Isn't it kind and loving ? Isn't it requesting the same freedom of expression that they demand?

Just curious why this would even be a thought to some (if not all).

Just think, if I sent a christian friend at work something for Yom Kippur, he would either consider it a joke and kid around about it or he would remind me that he was christian. But 10:1 he would still sincerly appreciate the gift. Then lets say, after being reminded that I did the same thing the next year. But then I told him that I understood he was christian, and that if he wanted to share his beliefs with me that he was more than welcome. Yet, at the same time, I believe the way I do, and this is how I express my friendship. How do think he would respond. 100:1 he would be considerate, thoughtful, and pleased.

OK. What do you think?

• Maverick
    Maverick

I just sent out a bunch of Holiday Greeting cards to the local duds, even the CO. Of course I put little notes in them telling them about this site and adding comments about my opinion of them and their "religion"! I asked the CO how his golf game was. All the DO's and CO's I knew lived for Mondays so they could play golf! As for family, most are not duds and this is my first Holiday Season as a regular human being. I bought gifts for my family, I am sure they will be shocked and have not got me anything because of all those years as a ding-dong-dud! I will not put up a tree but will have lawn art out. I will set up a Santa with his sled and a reindeer with a JW caught in his antlers! This is a continuation of my Halloween lawn art where the JW got mugged but a bunch of Jack-o-lanterns. If I run into anyone I gave a card to and they say something to me about it my response will be, "As a Christian person I will send out Cards to anyone I want. If they don't want a Christmans card from me just drop it in the trash!" I'll say it real loud so everyone around will hear it. Maverick

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Would you send a Christmas card to one of your Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Zoroastrian friends, knowing that they do not celebrate Christmas?

If you were going to send a religiously themed card, I would say ,"NO, the card will not invoke joyous acceptance."

If you were going to send a simple "Season's Greetings" card with well wishes for the new year, I would say, "Maybe; how tolerant are your friends of your beliefs." (It is a given that Dubs are ZERO-TOLERANCE.)

Why not instead wait until Nisan 14, and send them a "Good Grief, Charlie Brown" memorial card along with a jug of Mad Dog and some crakas?

That's the ticket!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Oh Man! Nathan you are great! You just gave me a wonderful idea! And I'll have three months to plan it out....Thanks!

• outnfree
    outnfree

No, you shouldn't.

You know they don't celebrate Christmas, so why bother? If you want to be in touch, write a personal note instead. Sending a Christmas card to JWs will be seen as a provocation (see Maverick's response above). If that is your intention, fine. If you are thinking of it as an expression of your fond feelings for your JW relatives, you are deluding yourself.

My $.02,

outnfree

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The other side of the coin:

When my niece was born my sister sent some gifts... clothes, a few toys, and, low and behold, some witness literature... knowing full well that my brother didn't want his daughter taught this religion. My sister did not respect his right to make that choice for his daughter... even though she meant it as an expression of love.

Sending a Christmas card to a JW family member is the same thing, in my opinion ;)

I say if you truly feel the need to send them a card in the spirit of love and friendship... send them a thinking of you card.

Jackie

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Maverick,

I like that idea. I might try it myself

Devious Devon

• minimus
    minimus

Should I send Blood Donor forms to JW family? Should I send American Flags to JW family? Should I send Catholic Mass celebrations to JW family? Should I send a Big Fat Santa Claus to JW family? Should I send "Crisis of Conscience" to JW family? ......Sure, why not?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

No, if you know they do not celebrate xmas do not send it.

It is one thing if someone sent it not realizing they did not celebrate it, but sending it when you know, and they KNOW you know, would be in poor taste. If you really want to send them a card, just send a non holiday one. You will be showing that you care and that you respect their beliefs.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Is it disrespectful?

You bet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit