The Shocking Origins Of...

by freemindfade 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I can't deal with this crap witnesses plaster on social media (Facebook). "The Shocking Origins of Christmas!" First off no one cares, leave the people alone. Second is this:

If I put a video on my facebook page "the shocking origins of Jehovah's witnesses" I would be called an apostate and ostracized. Their double standards are idiotic to say the least.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Not only that, but it seems that most JWs are under the impression that "worldly" people don't realize that the bible doesn't say to put up a tree and lights or that Jesus was born on the 25th. I've found that not to be the case. I once got all self righteous on someone because I knew that christmas was pagan and she said "Yeah, I know it wasn't Jesus' birthday but it's just a nice time for family to get together and enjoy some pretty things and presents and think about christ. What's wrong with that?" The response shocked me because I was only prepared for her to bow before my superior bible knowledge.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    And its not the bible culture of our grandparents, I would venture to say the majority of people these days don't take the bible seriously anyway so why would they give a damn what it says or doesn't say about Christmas
  • Magnum
    Magnum

If I put a video on my facebook page "the shocking origins of Jehovah's witnesses" I would be called an apostate and ostracized. Their double standards are idiotic to say the least

Excellent point! They want to analyze and expose the origins of other religions, holidays, etc., but they want to hide their own origins and history. They truly do have double standards.

• Sabin
    Sabin
    Xmas, yeah it can be nice with all it's pretty things & giving of gifts & I guess if you never got to celebrate it as a kid you may feel like you missed out on something. I think personally that just comes down to how good your home life is. I worked in schools, watched the rich kids talking bout all the presents they got, the look on the faces of the poorer ones was not a pleasant experience. Sure if you don't give a shit bout those poorer kids it wouldn't have mattered, but I did. Xmas is like everything else in life, it can be a happy time for some & a time of sorrow for others. I love the fact that so many organizations at that time of year put themselves out to help poorer families, provide shelter for the homeless, & make a xmas dinner for the hungry. They are the unsung heroes for this time of year. when JW's do things like that they can moan all they like. But they don't EVER. So they should shut their mouths.
  • stuckinarut2
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I found the shocking ''origins'' of the Borg wayyyy more shocking than that of Christmas. Especially the chronology of how C.T. Russell came up with the 1914 theology.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

So what. There are so many facets of Christmas--and Jesus is but one of them. Even those who are atheists or that believe Jesus was non-existent and/or a scumbag can still celebrate the holiday.

So what if the holiday did in fact have pagan origins and you wish to avoid pagan traditions. How many other days of the year have roots in something you would rather avoid? For one, communists honor May 1. What if you, or someone close to you, has a birthday on that date? Would you avoid celebrating it because it coincides with a communist holiday? Or, if there are more than one holiday sharing the same day? Hanukkah and Christmas have been known to both fall on the same day--do observant Jews move it up a week to avoid Christmas? Or do everyone else move Christmas back a week to avoid observing Hanukkah? Last I knew, no.

All this does is allows virtually everyone, save those who cannot enjoy anything for whatever reason, to appreciate Christmas. Some observe Jesus' birthday. Others observe the rebirth of the Sun. Still others observe both. It can be a time for peace and quiet, or a time to celebrate one's material wealth. It can be a time to outdo others on decorating, or to simply enjoy simplicity. And, if you do not observe the pagan part, for you the holiday is not pagan regardless of its origins or that it is pagan for those who observe the rebirth of the Sun. Either way, it is none of the hounders' damn business if someone chooses to participate.

Unless, that is, you choose to drink and drive. You drink and drive, you are putting innocent lives in danger. For that reason, I say Bah! Humbug! to drink driving.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Some of my family are muslim but they have a christmas tree for the kids...how messed up are we...even birthdays are evil.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Magnum - "They want to analyze and expose the origins of other religions, holidays, etc., but they want to hide their own origins and history. They truly do have double standards."

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

x

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit