What is happening to our kids?

by xenawarrior 21 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Joanna- thank you !! I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that for such a long time. And yes, the expectations placed on these kids today in so many ways is much more than when I was that age. I believe some of it is just what teens go through but there does seem to be more pressure in certain areas such as the testing scores etc. To top it all off for this young woman-her mother has distinct ideas about what she should wear and wants her to be "preppy" and it's not what the child wants. So to me, it seems like the mother really isn't paying attention to her daughter's preferences and the daughter may end up feeling like she's invisible and doesn't matter to her mother unless she meets those expectations. Sad really-she's controlling her daughter totally away from her. You are right in the middle of it all with your teaching and I appreciate your input.

one time: (sorry, I just can't bring myself to putting the "ugly" part in there) Wow- you went through alot. And I'm sure it was painful for you but it does sound like at the time it was a really good thing that man was there for him. Kids and drugs is a parents worst nightmare. The worst enemy. I will continue to do what I'm doing so far as far as this friend is concerned. She's been a part of our lives for many years now so it's very easy- she's a good kid.

(((((Andi))) Thank god for your friend's parents!!! I'm glad they were there for you so that you are now here with us!! Thinking of these kids being lonely makes me sad. They needn't be. It takes only moments to let them know we love them and that they matter !!! And yes, I have a strong child-I have been very lucky. She is helping all of her friends with all of this along the way and she has a keen insight. Here our kids have to complete 24 hours of community service during their high school years in order to graduate. My daughter decided last year in her freshman year that she was going to complete this service at the YMCA and she set out to do this totally on her own. She put the whole thing together including an introductory letter and had her interview all without me knowing and came home and announced "Mom, I'm going to work at the YMCA" and she's been there ever since. She helps the little kids with their swimming lessons and she loves it. She completed her required hours in the first semester of her freshman year and when she turned 15 they put her on the payroll and she's making money with it now !! The more time she spends there with the little kids, the more she goes in the direction of child psychology as "what she wants to be when she grows up". I'm very proud of her.

Can't wait to see you this weekend Andi !!!!

One of the other things that crossed my mind today with regard to our kids- I wonder if there is an environmental impact that we are ignoring. Maybe all the chemicals and preservatives and growth hormones they have been consuming all of their lives are affecting their brain chemicals adversaly.

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

xenawarrior -

Maybe all the chemicals and preservatives and growth hormones they have been consuming all of their lives are affecting their brain chemicals adversaly.

I think you are on to something here. Is it just my imagination, but I swear the young men and women in high school today are developing physically at a much younger age. If this weren't true, why would each and every HS track record be broken every year or two. Some of those records stood for 10-20 years, then all of a sudden, they get broken over and over again. There is something to be said about the body developing before the mind has a chance to understand the development. Good point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit