What is happening to our kids?

by xenawarrior 21 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Need some input from you folks.

My daughter is 15 1/2. She had her best friend for a sleepover last night and this morning my daughter tells me that her friend attempted suicide last week. This is not the first of her friends to do this and I guess I'm concerned about our youth in general. I hear "suicide" in any way and huge red flags go up.

I'm not so worried about my own daughter- she and I have a very close relationship and she knows she can come to me with anything and she does- even if she knows there may be consequences to face. She's very stable and although she expresses unhappiness about things in her life-it's the normal teenage angst. She has a great relationship with both her father and I and we have learned to co-parent in a way that is in her best interest even if we don't see eye to eye personally. Her friends on the other hand are dealing with some more complicated issues and it seems they are having a really difficult time coping.

These kids aren't trouble-some teens. They are all great kids who are good students who are responsible and aren't getting into trouble of any sort. They hang out in a large group who have been together-some of them since grade school and they are all very close.

They "seem" to all be okay but my daughter tells me that many of them are extremely unhappy and several have attempted suicide. I fear, not only for their well-being and their safety now but if they aren't getting some help with this kind of thing now, how it might affect them later in life.

She says her friend is going to counseling but that her mom isn't being very supportive of her and thinks she should "just snap out of it" . She is clearly suffering from depression, sleeping alot and some other symptoms. I worry too about my daughter having to deal with the fact that some of those closest to her are hurting so badly and the worry that causes for her as well. She says her friend doesn't want to go to the counselor etc. but she's scared for her and worried.

What is this with our kids? When I was in high school I don't recall ever hearing of anyone attempting to or succeeding with suicide and it concerns me that our youth sees this as an option.

Are we not teaching them good coping skills? Are we expecting too much from them? Are we, as a society losing touch with them? Have they seen too much of suicide on television? Do they not understand how serious talking about suicide is? Do we not hear their cries for help? With the way things are in the economy; do they sense the fear from their parents and then walk around with that themselves all bottled up?

I don't know. I know that I'm concerned and I talk to my daughter about the situation but I'm wondering if any other parents out there or mental health professionals are seeing more of this in our teenagers or even younger. One of her friends had been talking suicide when he was 12 !! At that time, several of the friends had been trying to help him to no avail and finally told him that if he didn't talk to an adult -they would. I tried to tell her at the time that people that age are not equipped to deal with that type of situation and that it is definitely something which should be reported immediately in the event that child is serious. At that time I also called the school guidance counselor and talked to them and they brought in a counselor to talk to the kids about suicide and how to deal with the whole situation. But a one time shot isn't going to take care of the situation IMO.

It's really frightening and sad. Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening and for your input

XW

• searcher
    searcher
    She says her friend is going to counseling but that her mom isn't being very supportive of her and thinks she should "just snap out of it" .

Maybe this is a big part of the problem?

I would think that kids in that position may believe they have nowhere to go and no options, after all, if Mum/Dad dont seem to be helpful, what is left?

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I know what you mean search. Yes, her mom is part of the problem. My daughter said today that her friend doesn't want to talk to a stranger about these things, she wants her mom to be there. Very sad indeed. And yes, it is a big part of the problem. I explained to my daughter that maybe her friend should sit down and have a heart to heart with her mom and try to get some of this out and maybe if her mom understood that she really needs her things would change. And in the event that didn't work she still needs someone to be able to get this stuff out with and a counselor might be her only chance for that-sad as that might be.

Her friend has been spending alot more time over at our house- she feels safe here I guess and there isn't someone yelling at her all the time and there is someone who listens to her. I am glad to be there for her but I can't substitute myself for her mom or a professional. I will do whatever I can for her though - she seems to really be struggling right now.

just sad..

• little witch
    little witch

My neighbor who was 17 just hung himself from a tree three weeks ago. Everyone was shocked.

I was 15 when I made my first attempt. I think it has alot to do with being that age. Hormones are amuk, you are feeling things you never felt before (the opposite sex), you are more critical of yourself. It is a tough time, and if they have nobody to relate to for whatever reason, it can be overwhelming.

Alot of parents see the teenage years as liberating to them. They think they don't need mom and dad anymore. In fact, they need us more than ever, just in a different way.

The other day my 15 year old son yelled at me over something silly, and I told him, "You are growing up, nearly a man now. We wont always see eye to eye on everything son".

A few minutes later, he came to give me a hug! There is no substitute for good parents IMHO.

Or in absence of that, a good role model/ surrogate.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

soo true LW !! I'm probably closer to my daughter now that I ever have been -or maybe it just seems that way. I told her something similar to what you told your son when she bacame a teen. I said, the next several years- there are going to be times when we simply do not get along and we do not agree. You are going to have to realize that what I'm doing during that time is to look out for you and your best interests. My job is to get you to adulthood, hopefully in one piece and as a responsible, respectful person with decent self-esteem. The road there isn't always paved.

It's funny the things that stick in our head though eh? I wonder sometimes what, if anything I'm saying to her is being absorbed. Some of it is obvious in her later behavior but the little things that stick with you. I remember things my mother told me along the way and if I told her those things it wasn't in any profound moment she spoke the words and she'd probably never remember it but it stuck with me.

I've been lucky- I haven't had any problems with mine yet (knock on wood) and seeing her the way she is I can only hope it continues like this and the lines of communication stay as open as they are now.

Isn't it a blast?

• little witch
    little witch

Yes, it is a blast. I have a 21 year old who is married, and going to be a father in June.

My kids at home are (son) almost 16, and two daughters ages 15 and 11. It is way different when they are teens.

The best time of my life was teaching them to drive a stick shift! I suffered whiplash of course, but we laughed and had the best time.

Yep, those little things...priceless...

• outnfree
    outnfree
    Do we not hear their cries for help?

I think this is a big part of it, speaking generally of society, of course. Many parents are either too busy trying to make a living or too self-involved to actually pay attention to their children.

The mother not "being there" is a big part of this girl's problem. (P.S. Where is her dad?) The mother may be going through denial: "this can't be happening to MY kid! Nobody in MY family is mentally ill/depressed/unable to cope" or, unfortunately, might just be a jerk (my girls have told me that the mother of one of their acquaintances threw their obviously troubled daughter out of the house because she didn't just 'snap out of it'!!! And refused to pay her college tuition, too. The father is a medical doctor!!! -- She was living with her aunt, last we heard.)

XW, have you considered contacting this woman? Inviting her out to a quiet spot to talk and to express your concern? Asking her what's going on in her life, to see if she's been spending years "snapping out" of her OWN depression, thus not seeing why her daughter can't use the same coping skill she's developed? (Of course, if she's depressed and burying her own pain, she's really not coping, but I digress...) Having you to talk to about her own fears AND her fears for her daughter might help the situation along and encourage them to go to counseling TOGETHER. Most parents love their children and want to help once they realize the seriousness of the problems. (Let's hope.)

I wonder sometimes what, if anything I'm saying to her is being absorbed. Some of it is obvious in her later behavior

One of my daughters went through a terrible time with a controlling jerk and I was trying to explain to her, without being totally negative, why the relationship would not work. She alienated her friends, had a miserable year, missing out on special events she otherwise might have attended, etc., and finally, finally, dumped the guy. When it was all over for several months, she came back to me and said, "Even though I didn't listen to you when you were trying to tell me, Mom, I HEARD you." :)

They hear us, they absorb it, but sometimes the processing takes awhile, I guess. ;)

((((((((XW))))))))) for being a loving mom and a good friend to your daughter and HER friend.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((Out)))))))) thank you !!

Yes, I think there are many parents who are to busy to realize that their kids need them. I have been guilty of that myself for periods of time earlier on. Now she's with me most often and it makes a big difference. I notice her moods and can tell when it's just a scrap with a friend or something more serious.

E's friend's father is really not in the picture too much anymore. One thing about that relationship is that her mom had her at 15 or 16 and I think she is so afraid that her daughter is going to make the same mistake and have the hardships that she may have experienced that she's smothering her in the process. It's understandable to a degree but the one who is suffering for that fear is her daughter. Her dad is married with small children of his own and they don't really have a relationship any longer- he pretty much cut the ties on that and I think that is hurting her terribly.

I would go talk to her mom but the woman is not the type to be approachable. She's very judgmental and nasty in her talk about others; including me and my daughter. That would blow up to be something huge and the person who would suffer for it is my daughter's friend and I don't want to see anything like that. I do think there are alot of the mother's own issues in play and it's all very unfortunate. I'll just be there as I can and hope for the best.

I just wonder so much about the suicide thing and why it is so much more widespread than it was in years past. Are these kids de-sensitized about it- thinking it's no big deal? It's really a scary thought. I just want to keep talking to my own to make sure she understands that there isn't anything she could do or experience that would create a desire inside of her to be gone from this world. But then I think- Is that really what these kids are feeling or are they just crying out in the loudest way they've learned how? No easy answers I guess and we just have to keep moving in a forward direction and letting them know they are loved and there is support for them.

Ah, yes, they do listen- that is great that your daughter told you that !! AND that she was able to use what she was hearing, plus her own walk through the situation and get out finally. There are so many times when we just want to "fix it" for them so it's all better, ya know? Where's that damn magic wand when I need it?

It is also a scary thing as a parent to see that your child is no longer really a child- that they are in a place in their life where they make decisions for themselves. Up to that point it was all us making those decisions and choices and then it's the self-doubt creeping in saying "did I prepare her well enough to be out in this scary world making these kinds of choices etc"? "Will she be okay?"

Ahhh, parenthood.

BTW- how is your relative in Dallas getting on these days out? Things going a bit better for her?

Back to beading for me- I only have 4 more days to get some things done-Yikes !!

XW

• searcher
    searcher
    I am glad to be there for her but I can't substitute myself for her mom or a professional.

Sometimes the 'Favourite Aunt' can be a good substitute, a listening ear, shoulder to cry on, that sort of thing.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

XW: Ant went thru a bad funk his Sophmore year he felt he had no friends life sucked etc. I offered counceling many times but he got passed it. To bad parents choose to not "see" what is right in front of them. Sounds like her Motheis unapprochable that is a bad thing, if she is that judgemental about others can you imagine being her child? Just be there for her. Tell your daughter to just keep talking to her and being there for her as it is a healthy reltionship for your daughtter Sheila

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit