Was Your Growth Stunted Because You Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

... I've had to grow up emotionally. I now trust my feelings and my "inner voice". For me, this was probably the most damaging aspect of the JW faith, the demonizing of emotions. The heart was to be "guarded". You weren't to trust your feelings or your instincts. Gawd, I know why. Mine was yelling at me to get out since I was a teenager... took me an additional 15 yrs to "listen" to myself.

I feel now. I believe because of the disfellowshipping policy, hatred you're to have for the world, careful of association in the hall, etc. etc. much of me was emotionally vacant. I've since learnt to fill the void and feel again.

• lastcall
    lastcall

Yes..... I led a double life in high school, had alot of fun, was popular with classmates..but in the back of my mind I was doing wrong.

So... when I graduated I decided fun time was over, it's time to get serious about the troof. I got baptized, got married, and settled into a very adult life when I really was not one.

...blah, blah blah...and here I am. I think I grew most emotionally from 30 to 33. I just now feel like I know where I am going in life, and am enjoying every minute.

LC

• Mac
    Mac

Was my growth stunted because I was a Witness?........Na........I think it had more to do with my dad being 5'-5'' and my mom 4'-11"!

• minimus
    minimus

I think a lot of people are making up for lost time. They feel they've been deprived of all the fun in life so will perhaps even go to extremes to enjoy themselves now.....Well, times a wastin'.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I think that Im going thru that phase now. Im always buying the latest style's of clothing, sneakers, music, blast my stereo in my car. Childish things for a 35 year old to do, however Im making up for a wasted youth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit