Was Your Growth Stunted Because You Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If you were not ever a JW, how would your life have been different-----socially, materially, educationally, sexually, emotionally, mentally....etc.???

• blondie
    blondie

Stunted by the WTS, not as much as growing up with an abusive non-JW father. Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, do you think growing up with an abusive parent makes it easier to become a JW?

• Enishi
    Enishi

I would say yes, my social skills and progress in college has been stunted due to the WTS. However, I'm gradually rectifying the problem.

• Amazing
    Amazing

My basic growth and education would be about the same. I was an electrical-mechanical engineer for 25 years, holding good positions and a promising career. I encouraged my children to attend college anyway. I raised my family to be close and have good communication, so that in the end they all listened and decided to leave the JWs.

What would have been different is that I would have taken some promotions offered in executive management at Bechtel Corporation. I would have spent more time having fun with my family instead of being out door-to-door or at JW meetings. I would have early on encouraged my children to participate in school events and programs. As we neared the end of our days as JWs, I did allow them to get into school plays, sports, and Proms ... but, they would have enjoyed more of this sooner. I too would have had more non-JW friends and would have retained closer friendships with non-JWs I grew up with. And I would not be missing the good JW friends I did make, but who now shun me.

I and my family are among the lucky in that the long term overall impact of the JW life will not be all that bad ... yes there are things to work out and deal with ... but I thank Gawd that it was not any worse. But stunted? Not really.

Jim Whitney

• minimus
    minimus

Jim, you could've gone to Bethel instead of Bechtel.

• blondie
    blondie
    Blondie, do you think growing up with an abusive parent makes it easier to become a JW?

Yes, because the KH was an escape from him. The WTS has some glaring faults but at least I could feel safe from him while I was there. At least at the KH someone wasn't calling me stupid 50 times a day. I realize now that the abuse at the KH is more subtle. But at the time it was a refuge. When I didn't need it any more I moved on. I really believe we have the power to make our own choices as a adult. As a child, my choices were more limited making leaving home difficult. Leaving the WTS as an adult was easier, I had more resources and the law was on my side. Running away as a child, not a good choice. I figure if you missed opportunities in those areas or were hurt, and you know it, it is your responsibility, it is your wonderful opportunity, to reach out for the things you missed. There is no guaranteee that your life would not have been stunted if you han never been a JW. The world is full of people and organizations that hurt others. Human beings are constantly growing. Some children because of their treatment when very young, do have severe barriers to much growth. But the vast majority will find that growth is not stopped, nor even permanently slowed. When I went back to school almost 13 years ago, I put this up on my refrigerator. I needed to see it because I was amongst 18 year olds and I was in my 30's. The WTS may have been a barrier, but what is holding us back now? IT IS ONLY TOO LATE WHEN YOU ARE DEAD.--Malcolm Forbes

• patio34
    patio34

Does a bear p**p in the woods?

• minimus
  • blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit