What would Watchtower Corporation(tm) do?

by punkofnice 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They know it all could be wrong.

But let's chalk it up to the "sunk cost fallacy"

I mean,,,,there's no letting go now.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Cognitive dissonance also plays a part. I've known brothers who were definitely 100% in, even though they knew things that should have made them at least stop for a moment and question themselves. I don't think that they were faking it, I think they were genuinely convinced, and were willing to bury anything that might cause doubt. When we want things to be true or false, our minds can work hard to help us fool ourselves.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Mousy - Once you get to those levels of the org (anyone appointed to RBC/circuit or other multi-congregation work can attest to this) there are a ton of things you have to see through that no sane person could honestly accept if they are true God-fearing Christians.

I can attest to this. That's why I'm no longer a Jobot.

Beth's Serum - "sunk cost fallacy"

Good one.

FM - Yep. Nothing more to say.

You do have a wry sense of humour.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

We probably could do with a nice juicy bust-up right now to liven things up. The AMIII thing turned into a disappointment as it has fizzled out under a cloud of secrecy (possibly secured by a payoff, NDA or something similar).

But if there are rifts in this GB over what direction to take the org, then we might see some interesting fall-out in the next few years as the pressure comes on from court cases and negative media attention (and possibly internal pressure too from BoEs, COs, etc).

Obviously they would try to keep it quiet, but I reckon it would become more apparent these days because the org and its teachings have much more public scrutiny, their material is openly available online and the ExJW community is much more active and ready to highlight any inconsistencies or flip-flops.

This supposed pulling of the two shunning videos from the 2023 convention (if true) might already be an indication of divided opinion internally. It used to be said there were often clashes between the teaching committee and the writing committee on how to address some subjects in meetings and magazines. We might be about to see the same again over these controversial topics.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    J-Man - We probably could do with a nice juicy bust-up right now to liven things up.

It indeed seems all quiet on the western front.

Even our spies aren't reporting anything to perk me up.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I chalk it up to the "sunk cost"' Fallacy and cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance,,,brought on by the though-stopping techniques , ""where else would you go?''' Or ""you only have forever for these things"'.

Manipulated to think,,,by the Borg

Thought- stopping techniques.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

EG. If each Governing Body(tm) member (Pee be upon them), were offered a few million quid/bucks each to rescind the barbaric 'no whole blood' rule? - this is an interesting thought.

But I think that they might well refuse this money, knowing that their refusal would probably lead to an increase of donations among the faithful (brainwashed) and save face.

The GB or whoever are in charge of the religion are pretty canny. They know how to keep their bullshit going. Let's face it, they've been doing just that for 150 years, lol.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I agree, LUHE. I think that what would get them to drop it is if you could demonstrate that they would gain a lot more converts as a result. More converts means a steady stream of income, instead of just a lump sum. And it also means you have power over even more people, which I figure counts for something to the members of a 'governing body.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit