I have too much crap!! How to declutter/dehoard.....

by Muddy Waters 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Some areas of our home are very nice, tidy, clean. And other rooms are just junk and clutter and clothes and papers.... omg. How did this come to be?

And now that we are getting older, we realize that we face a time of transition -- and this is hard to cope with too, as we believed the lie that we would never get old, etc. Well, retirement years are facing us and we need to downsize and figure out how the hell we're going to live and survive, etc. No plans for the future (other than the "real life to come" - the stupid f**king paradise!!!). So, because we were idiots, we now have to face things we never thought we would face.

So this really sucks.

It doesn't help that I stuffed our home full of mostly useless crap. Gah! How does one purge their stuff?

It was easy to get rid of JW crap and clothes.... but gosh, is very difficult to get rid of other stuff and things. Ack!

• freddo
    freddo
    ebay?
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

This is exactly what I am experiencing now. I am determined to get rid of the crap. Started 3 months ago. Half the rooms in my home are now neat and tidy. It is such a relief to just walk into an uncluttered room. The other half of the house full of clutter. I am constantly cycling through the junk. Some I keep, some I throw out. Then the next week I cycle through it again and throw out some of the crap I kept from the previous week. It is kind of like getting over an addiction. I figure the whole affair will take about 6-8 months BUT every week is a step closer.

One thing that brings me joy is giving something to kids, friends, neighbours, workmates. See their faces light up when they get a free gift that was your junk. Maybe most of what you have is junk but I'm sure many things would make nice gifts. I gave a friends young daughter a book on' interesting things to do and make'. I asked later if she found anything interesting in the book. 'Yes, I like the part that shows me how to tie knots.' So I got her a length of nice rope. Another smile on her face.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Have you kept these things out of sentimental attachment? Have you just impulsively bought things you liked without considering space constraints at home? Is it difficult for you to organize things? Are any of these things valuable? Are you ready to purge but just havent had the time? Are you selling your home?

More details would be helpful. My MIL is an actual hoarder and I have some experience here. You may not be a clinical hoarder, but just suffering some disorganization. These would require different approaches.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I rented a dumpster once and threw most of it all away. I gave away some nicer stuff on Craigslist for free and tossed the rest. The key afterward is to adopt a minimalist view of material things. It is tough. We made a lot of progress, but we still have a way to go. I said for years that I'd sell the stuff and never did, so I just gave it away. Recognize that a lot of reasons are just excuses in this area of life. Hope that helps.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Do not FEAR to throw things away, they are simply that, things. If you throw away something that would have been useful, so bloody what ? you made the place tidier in the meantime.

Me and Mrs Phizzy are terrible hoarders, our sons had a major clear out of our place about 2 years ago, we have not suffered at all from anything that "went".

Just do it, chuck it, you will feel wonderful from then on.

• blondie
    blondie

Forcing Decisions: The Four-Box Method

Clutter is evidence of many things: poor habits, lack of organization, sentimental attachment, too much stuff. But, at bottom, each item of clutter is a decision delayed.

The mail arrives, replete with circulars and junk mail and catalogs. "Oh, I'll go through that later!" whispers the clutter monster, deferring the simple decision to cull and toss the unwanted paper.

The Four-Box method forces a decision, item by item. To apply it, gather three boxes and a large trash can. Label the boxes, "Put Away", "Give Away/Sell" and "Storage." Items to be thrown away belong in the trash can.

Take the four boxes to the declutter area. One at a time, pick up each piece of clutter. Ask yourself, "Do I want to put this away in another place, donate it (or sell it at a yard sale), store it, or throw it away?" You may not release your grip on the item until you have made a decision.

At the end of the decluttering session, reserve 10 to 15 minutes to empty the boxes. Put Away items are put in more appropriate places. Give Away/Sell items should be stored outside the house, in a garage, or in the trunk of the car for drop-off at a charity donation center. As each Storage box fills, make a brief inventory of the contents and put the box into the storage area. Finally, empty the trash can quickly to prevent second thoughts!

The Four Box method will work for anyone, in any declutter mode. Use it to clear a shelf or drawer each day, or apply it as part of a whole-house weekend assault on clutter. By forcing a decision, it will serve you well as you cull clutter from the home.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

MuddyWaters, you need this book:

http://tidyingup.com/books/the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up-hc

It will radically change the way you think about your possessions and help you to release the things you do not need.

Japanese organizational consultant Marie Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly declutter your home once, you'll never have to do it again. Whereas most methods advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach, the KonMari Method's category-by-category, all-at-once prescription leads to lasting results. In fact, none of Kondo's clients have been repeat customers (and she still has a three-month waiting list of new customers!). With detailed guidance for every type of item in the household, this quirky little manual from Japan's newest lifestyle phenomenon will help readers clear their clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home--and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire.

Or, you could move to a smaller place. That is what helped me - I went from a two bedroom townhouse to a bachelor pad. I got rid of 80% of my belongings and what a relief it was. Once a person gets rid of all the stuff they don't need, it also changes the way that you accumulate things. I don't buy crap anymore - I only purchase neccessities. And things that give me joy.

Good luck - the bottom line in deciding what to keep is this: "Does it give me joy?" If it doesn't, get rid of it.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

If you're just a random acquirer and things do not get put in their place, you might not realize how much of one type of item you have.

As you are sorting it might be helpful to put things of one category together temporarily so you have an idea of just how much of one type of item you have. Then, ask yourself, "How many of these do I actually need?"

For example, I like candles and candleholders. I store them all together in my "Candle Department" now. As I tidy, if I find misplaced candles, I return them to the Candle Department. If the candle area is full, then I know I need to purge.

Also, if I want a new item, I know I must get rid of an old item. That's how you stay organized: One in, one out.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have too much crap!! How to declutter/dehoard.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit