How much of the bible do JW's really use?

by blindfool 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blindfool
    blindfool

I've noticed over the last several weeks how often the same scriptures are used in meetings at the Kingdom Hall.

Anytime Galatians is mentioned you can just about be sure you are going to look up chapter 5 ver. 19.

2 Timothy is going to be 3: 16

I can't remember considering any addional text to get the context of the verse, just reading the same verses over and over. I'm sure most of you can name lots more scriptures used by JW's.

I think I'm going to start taking notes at meetings and listing which verses are used, then I can look from week to week and see how often the same old verses are considered. Doesn't that sound like fun??

I need some motivation to keep me going to these meetings, maybe this is one.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Actually that is a good question -- very little when I really think about it -- it tends to be Mathew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, Hebrews 10, 2 Timothy 3, Rev 21, Psalm 37, Isaiah 65, I Cor 13 --- I have never studied the book of Ruth for example . They need to publish a complete set of commentaries and to study in depth the entire bible using context etc.

• gumby
    gumby
    I think I'm going to start taking notes at meetings and listing which verses are used, then I can look from week to week and see how often the same old verses are considered

Why not just pick up any watchtower and look and see where 80% of the scriptures come from. They come from the old testement. The society likes to keep the flock out of the N.T. that teaches all mankind can have eternal life by their faith in Jesus.

This also, goes against the dub idea that Jesus has two groups of buddies.......earthly and heavenly reward buddies that is. The N.T. contradicts much of what they teach, and gives too much emphasis on christ, whearas the O.T. concentrates on Jehovah. The dubs like Jehovah waaaaaaaaay better than they like Jesus.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I agree wholeheartedly to Gumby's comment.

I recall someone mentioning that they went through the knowledge book and some other publications, and used a highlighter pen in a copy of the NWT, where scriptures were cited.
    The same 80, or so, texts came up again and again.

Funny that Ruth is mentioned - I've been studying that particular story quite deeply, on and off, this last few months.

• Loris
    Loris
    They need to publish a complete set of commentaries and to study in depth the entire bible using context etc.

That would be a hoot! Remember the shake-up at Bethel when Knorr asked Ray Franz to put a Bible dictionary together? And the only commentary published was of the book of James. We all know what happened to the author of that little book. A complete set of commentaries would empty the writing staff of Bethel.

Great idea but we will probably never see it.

Loris

• micheal
    micheal

I agree with you. But a JW would say that they cover the whole Bible in the theocratic min school with verses being covered in the #2 talks, the instruction talks and Bible highlights.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Matt 24:45-47 - We speak for God

1 Cor 15:33 - Don't hang out with people who don't believe that we speak for God

Heb 10:24, 25 - be sure to attend all 5 weekly meetings that Jehovah's Organization has lovingly provided

Matt 24:14; 28:19,20 - peddle our literature

Revelation 21:3, 4 - here's what you will get real soon if you believe that we speak for God and submit to our authority

Yeah, there's a few that they really seem to concentrate on.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

DanTheMan - perfectly said

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

And to me one big problem is: they generally do not use the Bible as a collection of texts that have to be READ, but as a store of disconnected verses that can be related to one another according to the WT's doctrine.

When I was disfellowshipped in the 80's, a big progress had been made by the simple reading of a Bible text in the Ministry School (that was established around the time of the Commentary on James). The result was some people found interest in understanding the Bible itself and began using "worldly" commentaries. I don't know if that went on...

• wednesday
    wednesday

agree, but did we not studey the "all scriptue is inspired " book? It gave somewhat of a commentry on the entire book of the bilbe we were studying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit