My Most Memorable Circuit & District Overseers

by MillennialDawn 42 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

2 circos i remember from the 60's Birmingham UK area:

Graham Carmichael--a very funny Glaswegian who could really drink

Oliver McDonald--very strange man. Like a character out of Charles Dickens.

Does anyone recollect them ?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Hans Hubler, otherwise known as "The Terminator", after the mother of that crying child promptly terminated her "Free Home Bible Study".

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I remember Hans Hubler. It's not the first time his name has come up on this forum. I have photos of him and his wife in the early 60's

Dad didn't get 'terminated', unfortunately.....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

There was a bloke called Jason. His surname escapes me. He was around in the 90's 00's.

I can imagine he woke up because he was the last of the genuine Christian types.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I remember Graham Carmichael, he did have a sense of humour ! and not the practiced/scripted jokes the C.O says at every Congregation, and his poor wife has to force a snigger !

I never got to have a drink with him, but did with a couple, one who stayed with us when we were young was Albert Broad,C.O and then D.O, he was an O.K guy, and as long as I stocked the fridge with his favourite Bulldog Ale, and he was allowed to watch Cartoons on T.V, he was as happy as Larry ! His missus, forget her name, was bit strange, sweet enough, but always wanted to do the washing up ! she said it was because she didn't have her own kitchen.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I remember Albert Broad, think his wife was Dorothy (Dotty). They stayed with us in the 1950's. He drove an old Austin 7.

George

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks George, yea, Dotty by name and nature ! The Austen 7 must have been an old car even then !

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Phizzy8 hours agoI remember Graham Carmichael, he did have a sense of humour ! and not the practiced/scripted jokes the C.O says at every Congregation, and his poor wife has to force a snigger !
    Graham's wife was Honor, and it was her side that made me realise back then that most circos had family money behind them..in this case it was the circos wife that came from a wealthy family. They used to stay at my parents house while i was still living at home.

The more recent stayer they had was Ken Richmond. But i was married then and had my own place. I played host to Bevan Vigo back then.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Phizzy: "as long as I stocked the fridge with his favourite Bulldog Ale, and he was allowed to watch Cartoons on T.V, he was as happy as Larry !"

Sounds like someone I might get along with. Well, apart from the whole "Join us, or die!" thing 🙄

• still wondering
    still wondering

Does anyone remember John Blaney CO, quite a large fellow with the ability to persuade anyone smaller than himself.

I'm sure he could sell snow to the Eskimos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit