My Most Memorable Circuit & District Overseers

by MillennialDawn 42 Replies latest jw friends

• MillennialDawn
    MillennialDawn

I would love to hear from anyone who may have encountered the following the traveling overseers:

David Wesley - An incredibly kind and humble man. Just the most down-to-earth CO you'll ever find. He was from Indiana, looked like Dan Quayle and joked about it too. He didn't take himself too seriously and that was refreshing, especially to young ones. He really took a liking to young teens in the congregation and always came across as warm and encouraging. He was in good physical shape, too. He would meet a group of young brothers at the local gym and play basketball with them. He was pretty good at hoops. In one of his talks he related a story about a young JW boy that had all of the latest stats memorized for his favorite baseball players, but when Wesley asked him to name all the books of the Bible, he was stumped. But he related that story in a non-threatening way. It didn't come across as dogmatic. He always said that the best compliment he ever received was when one brother said, "Brother Wesley is the only Circuit Overseer that doesn't know he's a Circuit Overseer." Wherever he is, I hope he's doing well.

John O. Mason - You won't find too many people with nice things to say about Mason. He was pompous, ostentatious, and literally seemed to look down on people. He seemed to intentionally show up late at the meeting for field service and when he walked in the back door into the auditorium he would announce "Elvis is in the building". Not kidding. He wore flashy gold jewelry and expensive suits. He either came from money or he really wanted people to think that he did. The elders referred to his visits as "Mason's Massacre" because he removed so many elders and ministerial servants. Now I will say this about Mason: the man was a gifted speaker. Holy moly he was captivating. He knew Koine Greek well and wove it into his talks in a way that really made the material really exciting. Also he was enamored with tall people. Weird, I know.

Angelo C. Manera - One of the best speakers I have ever heard. He had a slight Italian accent and a very nice voice. A 45-minute talk seemed like an exciting 10-minute short film. That's how good he was. And his sincerity and conviction were stirring. You could really tell that he believed what he taught and lived it. A great storyteller that could paint vivid pictures and really tap into that "theatre-of-the-mind". Not a bad golfer, either. But he regularly denounced football. Both playing it and watching it. That didn't go over too well in the South. He passed away in 2006.

Samuel J. Roberson - A District Overseer who is now serving as a Patterson instructor. A slightly rotund man with red hair and freckles, he came from poor beginnings. I think he worked as a janitor for many years before entering the traveling work. Incredible speaker with an amazing voice. At conventions, his voice just boomed and echoed through the rafters and then, for effect, the next sentence would be almost at a whisper. But the audience was so on the edge of their seat that all you could hear was was dead silence. He had an incredible command of the Scriptures. He would take a verse that most people might read over and not think much about it. But he could take that one verse and extract so much substance. He used Koine Greek excellently as well. It really enhanced his talks.

If anyone has any experiences or stories about these COs and DOs, please share. Thanks!

• titch
    titch

MillenialDawn: I do remember Angelo Manera, having seen him at District Assemblies in Southern California. I recall him from an assembly at The Forum, in Inglewood, California, way back in 1968.

Titch.

• vienne
    vienne

I asked my grand uncle about the names on this list. He knew Manera and speaks highly of him. None of the others 'rang a bell' as far as his memory goes.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

MillennialDawn: Interesting to see some nostalgia. How do you feel modern COs (since DOs have been rendered obsolete) compare? Do you think that there is a great "dumbing down" of the Org, as many here have observed?

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

MD: My longtime still in dad remembers Manera. I remember Roberson from So. California back in the 90's. You are spot on, mesmerizing speaker.

I also enjoyed Don Emshoff who was a CO and DO in Colorado and So. California. He was not married and a likeable guy. He irritated some of the 'friends' when he drove a 2 door Cadillac instead of the standard 4 door 'service' car in the days before WT provided vehicles for them.

With as sharp as these guys are (or were), I think the social aspect of being a ranking JW was more important than Bible discussion as all of them would turn on any who questioned org dogma.

• MillennialDawn
    MillennialDawn

NotFormer: From what I can tell, yes. I don't attend a Kingdom Hall much anymore, but the times I have visited, I was really disappointed by just how dumbed down it seemed. There's no depth. Certainly not any scholarly discussion of the Bible. Witnesses have convinced themselves that they are the only true religion and that they have the monopoly on using God's name "Jehovah", which is actually a laughable transliteration that mixes the Hebrew Tetragrammaton with the vowels of the Hebrew "Adoni".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I only remember UK ones. So my list might be lost on most of you.

In the old days they were more 'Christian' in their manner. Then later, probably about 1980s(?) they became obnoxious company men.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I second what Punk said. Today’s company men seem like clones , purely agents for “the Society “

I give you Clifford Hensman, a Bro Kensal, Tony Taverner, John Fry , Ken Wildig , Richard Cullen and a memorable D.O. David Carter

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Bluesy - Richard Cullen

I didn't really get on with him. Someone said he was like Anthony Valentine playing Major Mohn in Colditz.

Barry Birtles - I found him to be a caustic company man along with Ray Shah and Charldon Johnson. Nope, not my kind of humans. They seemed to love the rock star status but be total inhuman in Elder(tm) meetings. Horrible experiences with them. Horrible!

Bro Kendal was a human as was Bev Gibbons, IMHO.

My Dad didn't get on with Bro Buckingham. He seemed to have a really dry sense of humour, if memory serves.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Then later, probably about 1980s(?) they became obnoxious company men!

Nowadays a Circuit Overseer has to have a foul & unpleasant side to his personality in order to serve the needs of the toxic, narcissistic Watchtower Governing Body.

Speaking of obnoxious & unpleasant...I remember C.O. Lou Razor. Many if not most JWs in the circuit were happy to have this A-hole transferred far away!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit