Comments You Won't Hear at the 12-7-03 WT Study

by blondie 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• herk
    herk

I think a word ought to be said, too, about how damaging the WT teaching is to the decent men in the organization. Over the years I was associated with countless men who were worn to a frazzle by the Society's requirement that they "exercise headship." They had demanding secular jobs and had to do their part in taking the lead in the family, in field service, in the congregation and at conventions. They were often away from their wives and families due to regular elders' meetings, meetings with the circuit and district overseers, committee hearings, Kingdom Ministry School and other special sessions. They were usually busy every week spending far more time than others in preparation for public talks and other meetings. They also had paper work to do in connection with their elder or ministerial servant positions. To fall behind in meeting any of these requirements led to criticism from others, not only from other elders, including the circuit overseer, but even from some women in the congregation as well, including their own wives in many cases. Wives generally tried to be understanding and made huge allowances. Many I've known were outstanding helpers of their husbands. Some men were great leaders mainly because of the initiative, brilliance and industriousness of their wives. Still, many wives would become exasperated because their husbands were "not taking the lead in the family," especially in conducting a "family Bible study," as they were so often reminded to do by the Society. Whether wives complained or not, husbands felt the heat when their own consciences condemned them for not doing enough. There is a lot of glory connected to being an elder or leader among JWs, but there is a huge price to pay in frustration, drained energy, health breakdowns, and sometimes in getting household bills paid on time.

Then there were those men who were not serving as elders or ministerial servants. Some I knew were honest with themselves and felt inadequate for dealing with all the pressures they saw other men enduring. But they felt the cruel brunt of hints that they were not real men or that they were lazy or selfish. I knew some such men who had wives who were called "suffering sisters," wives who seemed to suffer shame because they had husbands who were weak or who were not willing to do their full share with other men in the congregation.

JW society demands that its men do everything they can to please everybody, something that simply can't be done. I, for one, am grateful to be free of that incessantly crazy treadmill.

Herk

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent point, Herk. I especially like:

There is a lot of glory connected to being an elder or leader among JWs, but there is a huge price to pay in frustration, drained energy, health breakdowns, and sometimes in getting household bills paid on time.

Then there were those men who were not serving as elders or ministerial servants. Some I knew were honest with themselves and felt inadequate for dealing with all the pressures they saw other men enduring. But they felt the cruel brunt of hints that they were not real men or that they were lazy or selfish.

Perhaps a lot of the frustration comes from misapplied talent. Duties meted out by the society forces all members in to proscribed roles. This would frustrate the talented and able, both men and women.

Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. Romans 12:4-6 NIV

• blondie
    blondie

Herk, many elders have told me they could not do their jobs without their wives helping them. Many wives and children are neglected because of the heavy responsibilities on many elders, partly because other elders do not carry their load and partly that the WTS has unreal expectations.

But that is another subject. Women are even downgraded more by the WTS in general and ignored because they have no value as a potential or current "qualified brother." Granted the preachng is done mostly by women the work that is valued by the WTS is that which administratively supports the organization, and women aren't allowed to do that.

In an abusive religious organization this is no surprise.

One of the hallmarks of an abusive church is how many people have left the group because they could no longer stand being used and manipulated.

Performance based approval is heavily promoted.

People who choose to leave the group will do so under a cloud. They will not be released with love or any kind of public farewell usually. There will likely be shame and slander directed at them as they leave.

Blondie

• playdrums
    playdrums

Blondie:

I love you for all your efforts. For those of us that simply have a friend that is "in," you provide an invaluable resource. There are many who _could_ do it, but you DO.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, playdrums. It is therapeutic for me. I'm glad it helps others.

Blondie

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Blondie, I also see the treatment of women in the Bible as just another of the very dishonorable aspects of life in the WT, and one that requires a great deal of doublethink and doublespeak. Women are included in the anointed; they will rule as kings and priests, but they can't teach in the congregation??? We all know many families where the women are far sharper than the men, and more capable too; we can't even allow mentally that it just might be God's will for us all to be equal partners as some faiths are.

In the OT, women seem to have MORE responsibility that in the modern day microbubble of the WT. They were prophets at times, and also stood up for what was right as much as the men.

Why in the world does the WT champion Rahab and then try to clean her up at the same time? She was what she was; there is no reason to think that she immediately changed her way of life, unless I am missing something. The WT assumes that because she jumped on the bandwagon that was coming that she automatically became righteous. Here is a question: HOW did the spies come to know Rahab??

And yes, why not talk about Jael? She went against the power structure of the time and carried out God's will all by herself, making a bold, unauthorized move in doing so. To discuss her decisive actions would mean discussing the fact that christians must sometimes, if not all the time, go by their OWN conscience in matters, and really puzzle out what God wants them to do instead of following a one-size-fits-all preaching commission. THAT is much too dangerous for the WT to tackle and so they shy away from it. In fact, in the last 10 years the WT has not challenged it's readers to think deeply about anything. Thinking will only get them into trouble.

And so we have the glossed over and homogenized version of the good little women from the Bible; God bless 'em, cause even though they ARE smarter than their mates they are not sought out as equals either in the home or in the congregation.

Consider any corporation or university that ignores 50% of the brainpower of their population; they are not at the forefront of ANYTHING.

And neither is the WT. We can't think, reason or even turn to half of our congregations for their input and opinion on anything spiritual.

• blondie
    blondie

Excellent observations, pistoff.

And yes, why not talk about Jael? She went against the power structure of the time and carried out God's will all by herself, making a bold, unauthorized move in doing so. To discuss her decisive actions would mean discussing the fact that christians must sometimes, if not all the time, go by their OWN conscience in matters,

Yes, women in the WTS practically have to ask if they can go to the potty. Well, the WTS does tell them when to go, by cracky.

Kingdom Ministry May 2001 p. 5 "Listen and Take In More Instruction"

Minimize trips to the rest room by planning ahead. Do not eat or drink until the designated time, unless serious health factors are involved.

Kingdom Ministry February 1988 p. 7 Make Meetings More Instructive

Getting up unnecessarily to go to the rest room or the water fountain will also interfere with our getting the most from the meetings and will distract others as well.

Women are included in the anointed; they will rule as kings and priests, but they can't teach in the congregation???

I have had elders explain that even in heaven women will be secondary to the men and only acting in a priestly capacity over women on earth!!!!

Blondie

• lurk
    lurk

w97 6/15 p. 15 "Male and Female He Created Them"

But Adam did not live up to his responsibility, and Eve used her femininity in a persuasive way to entice Adam to join her in disobeying God.

no more sex for you adam till you eat that apple? danced the dance of the 7 vails? flashed at him?(ops no cloths in those days) .this must mean feminiity is basicaly decietfull and to blame for eerything

like where does it say she used her sexuality to lead him a stray ? those dam evil females with those feminine ways .

I can see why women must be kept in their place now

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Yikes blondie; those are some mentally challenged elders:

I have had elders explain that even in heaven women will be secondary to the men and only acting in a priestly capacity over women on earth!!!!

Apparently they have *forgotten* that in heaven, among SPIRIT creatures, there is no such thing as gender, it being a physical manifestation used in procreation. (Ok for other things too, but you know what I mean)

So even in heaven stupidity and prejudice will exist? And elitism??? Gender bias?

I wish I could have been there to hear you rip em up.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, Pistoff, there are times some elders make it too easy. This week's study article will round out the WTS stupidity on women. "I am woman, hear me roar!"

Blondie

I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much
    To go back an' pretend
    'Cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna
    Keep me down again

Oh yes I am wise
    But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price