Perfect response

by Cerise 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Cerise
    Cerise

Hello all. I was hoping to get some advice on what to say to a parent who wouldn’t support you to get married to a “worldy person”. Always bringing up “Marry only in the Lord” even when that hasnt worked out for the parent, twice divorced lol. Is there a way to discredit that scripture or argue back respectfully without giving away that you are PIMO?

• stillin
    stillin

That's a tough one because there's so much peer pressure in the congregation surrounding that subject. Even if you could prove that this person is exactly right for you, your parents will be thinking, "what will the brothers think?"

My daughter simply slipped off and married her guy and I like him and that's that. She is out of the organization, too! Killed two birds with one stone.

• Cerise
    Cerise

I know that sooner or later they would come around. I just wanted them to actually attend this hypothetical wedding

• stillin
    stillin

People in the congregation tend to view worldly mates as a "project."

• Cerise
    Cerise
    I have pretty much faded already. I’m not gonna go to any meetings once I’m married and most of my other family aren’t JWs so I’m not really worried about what other people think. Happy that it worked out for you and your daughter
  • stillin
    stillin

My wife, on the other hand, is hard nosed about it all. We have never had them over to dinner and it will always be a strained relationship. But my daughter knows that I love her and that it's a tough situation any way you look at it.

I hope that you can have it all.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Sometimes it's best to stand up for what you believe in. There's nothing wrong with saying, I believe that marriage between two people is greater than any finite set of religious beliefs. I believe that "marry in the lord" is not strictly limited to only those who ascribe to JW theology. I believe it's not 'a god" or "gods" that keep two people together but rather the substance and the dedication of their love that makes a marriage work. I've seen non-believers married for decades and I've seen JWs who are only married for a few short years. And I believe that exposing yourself only to those who agree with you is a pathway to failure. It stunts our emotional growth and greatly limits the awesome range of the human experience.

etc.

• Cerise
    Cerise

Wow Coded Logic that last part was so poetic

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Remember Joseph? Did he marry in the Lord?

http://www.womeninthebible.net/women-bible-old-new-testaments/asenath/

Atlantis!

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Beers to you Atlantis, It's hot here in Oz.

I never even knew that,,,,, mate, cannot wait to use it in my 'wake up' works.

jtg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit