So, I went to the memorial service of a man I have known since childhood...

by Captain Schmideo2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

I have been on a fade for years, so this is the first time I have been in a KH for months.

The deceased was barely 52 when he died. From cancer. One year younger than me.

The memorial was the standard "read the obituary column word for word, then do the JW commercial for 25 minutes" plus a new twist (to me), they played a video called "Around the Corner"
    https://youtu.be/tFCcOYP0VSU

And I remember how, when I was a young and hearty 18 years old, being told I wouldn't have to worry about getting old in this system of things. And that was 35 years ago. Guess what? I am old, too.

They were using that expression, "Just Around The Corner", when I was younger than 18. That corner is a very, very long corner.

https://imgc.allpostersimages.com/img/print/alfred-frueh-just-around-the-corner-new-yorker-cartoon_u-l-q112znz0.jpg?src=gp&w=300&h=300

I have gotten to pondering about the situation so many witnesses are in, and I am reminded of this anecdote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2071319/Fake-bus-stop-keeps-Alzheimers-patients-from-wandering-off.html

In a nutshell, in order to keep patients from wandering off the grounds of the nursing home, the staff constructed a fake bus stop. The patients will wait at the stop, for a bus that isn't coming, and it keeps them on the grounds.

And that is what the Paradise Hope (tm) is. It's a fake bus stop that keeps the inmates calm, and keeps them on the grounds of the Borg.

And many of us were waiting at that bus stop for a very, very long time. And gave up our youth, our opportunities, our futures, for a non-existent bus.

I will miss my friend. He was, by all accounts, a decent guy. He was too young to die. And he got lied to, just like I did. Like you did, Like we all did.

Thanks for listening. Glad I have a forum to put these thoughts out there.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I'm wondering if the video is going to become a regular part of the outine or if it was just a one-off. Anyone else have a similar experience?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

So sorry for your loss. I know you will miss him.

I like your bus analogy. It is spot on. WT just keeps pumping this "hope" out and keeps the masses pining to see their dead loved ones again. Most are elderly ones who have no education, no savings, no 401k, living on meager earnings. Some are working well into their 70's at hard labor jobs. I wonder how many think about the 1969 article about you will not graduate from high school. I believe some elderly ones are scratching their heads wondering deep down inside they have been duped. They just can't give it up. Some of our relatives have even said, "where else would we go?" Sad and pathetic. WT has a lot to answer for. I hope I live long enough to see the dirty rotten scoundrels pay for the false hope they have given all of us.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Likewise, Captain Schmideo2, I am sorry for your losing a good friend.

Yesterday, I stopped at the local WT cart and decided to get the latest magazines. Was I ever surprised that the husband was once a little kid I remembered from 40 years ago. He's now around late-forties and remembered me (despite my changed appearance). His parents, my contemporaries, are gone. Mutual friends are ill, some terminally.

We were discussing the "hope that does not lead to disappointment." I was cheerful and positive in my desire to be upbuilding, yet, inside, was the niggling knowledge of our having been fed that line, "just around the corner . . ."

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They were using that expression, "Just Around The Corner", when I was younger than 18. That corner is a very, very long corner. ~ Captain

Image result for ARMAGEDDON IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

This video was played at a recent JW Memorial Service we recently attended. All present sang the lyrics.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Thank you for posting that cartoon DOC. I was just thinking about that one! lol

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

It's sad. Throwing that video in at the end, also circumvents any natural sadness or expression of loss. Hey, don't worry, they'll come back, you just have to wait till the corner comes...

If you have never seen "Dark City", something similar occurs in the story. I think it was "shell beach" that you could never get off the train for. It was advertised and promised, but you couldn't reach that destination.

• tiki
    tiki

A Video at a funeral memorial service???? Did I read that right?? Because if that is what they are doing that is beyond tacky. It would be like showing tv commercials between words of eulogy. I hope I am misinterpreting this...a video at a funeral is just plain sick.

• tiki
    tiki

Have these people no heart or sense at all????

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Nope, no misinterpretation.
    Oh, and this:
    "In lieu of flowers, please send a contribution to the Worldwide Work for Jehovah's Witnesses".

I imagine they took the pennies from his eyes as well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit