Faithful and Prudent slave? read somewhere that the discreet was going to change to Prudent.

by goingthruthemotions 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Read on one of the forums, and maybe this one that the GB are going to start calling themselves the Faithful and Prudent slave.

My PIMI brainwashed wife wouldn't bat an eyelash if they started calling themselves this. to her it would be new light and they could do nothing wrong.

But, how the not so brainwashed flock take this change?

i hate this cult and wish it would disappear.

GTTM

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate
    Those words are synonyms. I don't see why they would do it, but it wouldn't be a big deal. What I'm really anxious about is all this talk of something big that's about to happen. I heard a very credible person mention this, but I've learned that if you mention that person around here, your post will disappear.
  • blondie
    blondie

The word discreet used to be spelled discrete

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

From https://confusedwords.org/discreet-vs-discrete/

DISCREET vs DISCRETE

Discreet or Discrete? How to Use Discreet vs Discrete Correctly?

These two words are homophones, which means they sound completely alike but have different meanings and spellings.

DISCREET Definition and Examples

Discreet is an adjective.

It means careful or showing good judgment in what one says or does; not too devious.

DISCREET Examples:

He is very discreet in giving his opinions.

He took her hand with discreet gentility.

She followed them at a discreet distance.

He was always very discreet about his love affairs.

It was not very discreet of you to ring up at the office.

The chauffeur gave a discreet cough.

DISCRETE Definition and Examples

Discrete is also an adjective.

It means something is distinct and separate or has a clear independent shape or form.

DISCRETE Examples:

The change happens in a series of discrete steps.

We receive our inheritance in discrete particles.

The function is to draw samples from an arbitrary discrete distribution.

The pizza came as eight discrete slices.

The picture consists of a lot of discrete spots of color.

These small companies now have their own discrete identity.

By the way, "discrete" is used less than a handful of times in the past 70 years (see WT library) and they seem to be used correctly.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Prudent? No, no....its Prudish. F&DS changing to Prudish.

• Half banana
    Half banana

"Discreet" and "prudent" are the sort of words discouraged by a regular JW education. Too highfalutin!

• pixel
    pixel

This is legit. In the 2019 Elder's Schools the instructors are teaching that the new light is to call them The Faithful and Prudent slave.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Why, though?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Lmao, if they do this it is such a J-dub thing to do. They pick at words and change stupid things to 1.) make people feel like something new actually happened and 2.) make you feel pressure to keep up with "Jehovah's chariot" which means that if you don't say it right everyone will know you're falling behind. It's stupid peer pressure b.s. and they'll use the new word to highlight some quality about them that they want you to feel. Utter garbage.

• blondie
    blondie

Does this mean that the word "discreet" will be replaced with "prudent" in the RNWT? The RNWT online still says "faithful and discreet slave." It this perhaps a legal maneuver?

The WTS has changed words many time over the years, congregation servant, congregation overseer, presiding overseer (PO), and now congregation overseer body of elders (COBOE)

Definition of discreet listed below has discreet listed as a synonym, but is the definition of discreet as same as prudent?

Other bibles say at Matthew 24:45

Faithful and wise servant

Faithful and sensible servant

Loyal and intelligent servant

https://biblehub.com/matthew/24-45.htm

Of note: lower down this link says this regarding meaning of the Greek word used there, phronimos:

Wise

φρόνιμος (phronimos)
    Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
    Strong's Greek 5429: Intelligent, prudent, sensible, wise. From phren; thoughtful, i.e. Sagacious or discreet; in a bad sense conceited.

https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/discreet.html

Will the WTS change Matthew 25:1,2 to read:

Then the Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps+ and went out to meet the bridegroom.+ 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were (discreet) prudent.+

discreet

DISCREET, a. L., Gr. It is sometimes written discrete; the distinction between discreet and discrete are arbitrary, but perhaps not entirely useless. The literal sense is, separate, reserved, wary, hence discerning.

1. Prudent; wise in avoiding errors or evil, and in selecting the best means to accomplish a purpose; circumspect; cautious; wary; not rash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit