Osiris-Dionysus

by yxl1 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yxl1
    yxl1

Just though it would be interesting to get your views on a series of events that were recorded 2,500BC.

• Osiris-Dionysus was born of a mortal virgin who after her death is honoured as a divine being
    • Osiris-Dionysus was born on either 25 th December or 6 th January
    • The birth of Osiris-Dionysus is prophesised by a star
    • Osiris-Dionysus turned water into wine at a wedding
    • Osiris-Dionysus was surrounded by 12 disciples
    • Osiris-Dionysus rode triumphantly into town on a donkey while crowds waved branches
    • Osiris-Dionysus’ death and resurrection were celebrated by a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolizes his body and blood
    • Osiris-Dionysus was accused of heresy and bringing a new religion
    • Followers of Osiris-Dionysus eat bread and drink wine to commune with him.
    • Osiris-Dionysus was crucified on a tree
    • Osiris-Dionysus died to redeem the sins of the world
    • Osiris-Dionysus’ corpse was wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh
    • Osiris-Dionysus is resurrected after 3 days and is witnessed by his disciples before ascending into heaven
    • The dates that Osiris-Dionysus died and ascended to heaven are exactly the same dates that are used for Jesus’ death and ascending to heaven
    • Three women followers visited Osiris-Dionysus’ empty tomb
    • Followers of Osiris-Dionysus await his return as the judge during the Last days

yxl1

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Have you been reading "The Jesus Mysteries...Was the "original Jesus" A Pagan God?" by Timothy Freke & Peter Gandy?

Lisa

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Fascinating, isn't it?

• yxl1
    yxl1

Is this stuff for real? I've been plowing through the Jesus mysteries but I'm still having a problem getting rid of all the garbage I've had forced on me thoughout my years as a Dub. Once the "Jesus Mysteries" is finished, I have "The bible unearthed", "who wrote the Gospels?" and "Who wrote the Bible?" all of which I have just recieved from amazon.

The first part of my personal study showed me that the WTS was not the true religion. Then my personal study showed me that there is no need for organized religion to get an understanding of God. Now it seems that all of Christianity is actually based on the VERY THING it spent thousands of years trying to destroy, paganism. Many of you have probably been down the same path, so bare with me...it's all new and exciting for me!!

yxl1

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have just bought a copy of the "Jesus Mysteries" book and I am starting to read it.

Like you, yxl1, I have come through the process of challenging everything that I knew previously to be truth . I am now comfortable with, and totally convinced that the WTBTS is nothing more than a collection of men and their interpretations and chronologies and predictions are worthless.

OK that is one thing, but to say that Christianity itself is based on no more than pagan legends,... well that is something else. I have to wrestle with a part of me that says that I do not really want to know. Do I want to find out that the last comfort and hope has been blown away?

I must find out . This whole issue begs an answer and I am determined to do so. If Christianity stands up to scrutiny then one's faith will be even stronger ...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The rabbit hole is deep

A healthy dose of skepticism on every side of the debate, is worthwhile (for there are more than merely two sides). The Trinitarian aspects are interesting, too.

IMHO the Je-Zeus-story is the most compassionate.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Just though it would be interesting to get your views on a series of events that were recorded 2,500BC.

• Osiris-Dionysus was born of a mortal virgin who after her death is honoured as a divine being
    • Osiris-Dionysus was born on either 25 th December or 6 th January
    • The birth of Osiris-Dionysus is prophesised by a star
    • Osiris-Dionysus turned water into wine at a wedding
    • Osiris-Dionysus was surrounded by 12 disciples
    • Osiris-Dionysus rode triumphantly into town on a donkey while crowds waved branches
    • Osiris-Dionysus? death and resurrection were celebrated by a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolizes his body and blood
    • Osiris-Dionysus was accused of heresy and bringing a new religion
    • Followers of Osiris-Dionysus eat bread and drink wine to commune with him.
    • Osiris-Dionysus was crucified on a tree
    • Osiris-Dionysus died to redeem the sins of the world
    • Osiris-Dionysus? corpse was wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh
    • Osiris-Dionysus is resurrected after 3 days and is witnessed by his disciples before ascending into heaven
    • The dates that Osiris-Dionysus died and ascended to heaven are exactly the same dates that are used for Jesus? death and ascending to heaven
    • Three women followers visited Osiris-Dionysus? empty tomb
    • Followers of Osiris-Dionysus await his return as the judge during the Last days

Please provide primary source documentation for these claims. For example the claim "Osiris-Dionysus was crucified on a tree"- please give the various death accounts of Dionysus (specific accounts) as well as the dates of each.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Was the concept of a crucified saviour borrowed from paganism? The item below came from the "pagan origins" site attacking christianity as being a copy-cat religion. A casual reader would think that the image pre-dates Jesus's crucifixion by over 200 years. Dionysus is one of the myths that it is claimed by some as being the basis for elements of Christianity.

I responded to these items in the following post:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/45937/5.ashx

While it is true that crosses and crusifixion predated Christianity the claim has been made by some that before Christ there were other religious figures who were crucified. The Pagan Origins site under "dionysus" depicts a carving of a human-like figure on a cross with the name "bakkus" and then states "This image was made two hunded years before Christians first pictured Christ on the cross."

Does anyone know if this caving contains an actual date?

If it doesn't contain an actual date then how was it dated and is this date generally accepted?

Also the cliam that the carving was made two hundred years before Christains first pictured Christ on the cross (if true) would not necessarily mean that the carving itself pre-dated the Chistian message of Christ crucified. It may only show that it pre-dated Christian pictures or carvings of this event. (The early Christians many of whom were jewish might have been opposed to images.)

In the sites description of the legend of dionysus, he dionysis "was torn apart by the Titans, boiled, and eaten. Only leaving his heart." This seems to be a very different manner of death than crucifixion and would make this carved image seem to be later than the original legend. Since the original story of dionysis gives a manner of death very different from crucifixon it makes one ask: From where did the followers of dionysis get the idea of him being crucified? Perhaps this was an interpolation from Christianity and not the other way around.

It appears that my post was correct from the following:

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_04_02_04_DDD.html

"Now let us add in those unique items posited by Freke and Gandy. We should first note the most obvious, for it graces the cover of their work: Based on "a small picture tucked away in the appendices of an old academic book" (though what the cite is for this book, we are not told), they feature a drawing of "a third-century CE amulet" with a depiction of a crucified figure which names "Orpheus Bacchus" as the figure, another name for D. According to Freke and Gandy, this shows that "To the initiated, these were both names for essentially the same figure." [12-13] To which we reply: That's the initiated's problem. The uncritical syncretism of a single person (the maker/wearer of the amulet) provides no evidence for the copycat thesis; least of all when the evidence dates several hundred years after the time of Christ (as does indeed all their evidence of D being crucified [52]). They also state incorrectly that there are no representations of the crucified Jesus before the fifth century; as Raymond Brown noted in Death of the Messiah, there are about a half-dozen depictions of the crucified Jesus dated between the second and fifth century, and even if this were not so, the literary depiction in the Gospels amounts to the same thing. Freke and Gandy chose rather a poor examplar to feature on their cover."

No wonder the "pagan origins" site didn't place a date under their carving. if they did it would have shot down their argument. The fact that the orignal legend of Dionysus has him being torn apart by titans boiled and eaten, and only after Christianity is Dionysus portraied as being crucifed, should show that the crucifixion of Dionysus was borrowed from Christianity and not the other way around. The above link goes through many of the so-called parallels and shows that many of these are not real parallels at all, or date after the start of Christianity.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I was waiting for your tickletonics hooberus.

• Satanus
    Satanus

From my limited reading about it, he was celebrated once a yr, when all the greeks got together at the temples and got into drinking binges. Also a special drink made from mushrooms and or ergot (lsd base) was consumed by certain ones. This was the real spirituality, not the pretend one.

When rome came into power, it outlawed it, and so celebrations were done indoors. Interior walls of pompeii houses have murals of different aspects of dionysian festivals. Socrates didn't follow it in the traditional way, and so got into trouble. The whole things sounds very interesting.

brotherBlues

If you're looking for comfort, look no further than dionysus. Just kidding.

SS

Ps, i too would be interested in documentation or references for all those points of similarity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit