Clearly, undeniably, without doubt ... is there a term for introducing a thought in such a way.

by jwfacts 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

I would like to contextualise this habit of the WT in their use of false or non-existing evidence. The Watchtower has always been cult propaganda from the start exemplified in the underhand way they use language as a massage to their followers’ vanity or sense of religious privilege.

The WT implies that the listeners are the “thinking persons” or “honest hearted ones”. The foremost expression the WT uses in this context to patronise the sheep by getting them to identify as one of “Jehovah’s people”. As if this grandiose fiction were a reality. Equally bad, they promote the idea from the Bible no less, that God has an organisation precisely like their organisation!

All these false assumptions are the coercive language of demagogy which avoids a critical examination of what is being taught but appeals to the desires of the audience.

In a cult Like Jehovah’s Witnesses, this is reinforced by the followers coerced into absolute trust in the leadership on the absurd basis of their divine inspiration. Lastly the information which operates in the JW org is disseminated an atmosphere of unquestioning acceptance—should you dare criticise the org, you will find yourself out on your ear.

Language is a very persuasive tool in cult manipulation. Watchtower language never teaches or explains anything useful, it is just crafted to induce submission to its bogus authority.

• Londo111
    Londo111

We could compile a whole list of these words use a fudge factor to create an absolute assertion.

Without doubt

Evidently

Likely

Many have

By extension

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

These words are popular with advertising companies as well.

Politicians love them also.

The media like to imbibe occasionally but, fake news and gossip rags even more so.

Conmen and scammers love them.

Tele marketers think these words are great.

These words are used in clickbait sites all the time.

Hmm, I'm detecting a pattern here. 🤔

• steve2
    steve2

Undeniably there should be a technical term for this kind of usesage. Evidently there are other words that could be added to the list. Clearly Watchtower frequently use such words in place of arguments. No doubt there will be someone on the forum who knows the term.

Great to see you back in form SBF.

• sparky1
    sparky1

WEASEL WORDS:

"Weasel words are designed to give the appearance of truth whilst protecting the speaker from attack or legal redress. They are very common in advertising and marketing, where the goal is to attract people rather than ask them to think deeply about something." - Changing Minds.com

• steve2
    steve2

Good excerpt about weasel words, sparky1. Worth remembering too that weasels love weasel words.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Joho - You obviously paid attention in the Theocratic Ministry School.

Which is evidently why I turned 'apostate™'

Note to self: Don't buy soap from the watchtower

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

I agree with everything that has been said, has anyone compared the statements they make with how they change it when they rewrite it on the CD-ROM? Example: when they said statements like millions now living will never did, or Armageddon will come in this century, etc. I'm sure there is already a thread about this but I wanted to see how they change the wording. Btw- when they were encouraging all to get rid of those bound volumes, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I suspiciously was like why would they encourage that, well now we know...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

all or nothing - when they were encouraging all to get rid of those bound volumes,

Image result for fahrenheit 451 poster film

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit