Micah 6:8

by enoughisenough 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I saw this in a video sometime back ( don't remember now ) but it caught my attention...Micah 6:8 was changed in the "silver sword" ...they changed the words in that scripture from " to love kindness" or in some versions to "love mercy" or "love grace" or "love goodness" to NWT silver : " to cherish loyalty". Sometime afterward there would be articles about being loyal to the organization. Some of you may recall this. This is an example of changing the wording to fit the desired doctrine. I was in Bible hub and looked at the word that was translated "loyalty". You can click on that and see different places where the word was translated in other verses of the Bible and in different translations. I went through a long list to compare but not all ( from Gen. to Samuel ) Anyway, what was consistent in the translations was the wording like "show kindness" , "deal kindly" --along that vein of thought. So in comparing that to the NWT, the NWT consistently translated " loyal love", which showed they knew to use the word "Kindness" because before the "silver sword", they rendered that word Kindness at Micah 6:8.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

They have for many years identified the word 'checed' to mean 'loyal love'. It's not a new concept but you may be right that the adjustment reflects the emphasis upon loyalty to the org.

Like countless examples, translators' biases direct word choice. The word does not seem to have a singular meaning, it is defined a variety of ways from simple 'loveliness' to doing a 'favor' for etc. In some contexts it reflects an implied relationship motivating the kindness. It is this shade of meaning that the WT is exploiting. Other commentators have stressed the same, if nothing other than to minimize the idea that God is merely interested in humans expressing kindness to one another.

I should have added that the recipient of the kindness is fellow humans, and even if we read the passage as implying a relational kindness, (love shown to friends and family) it still is not directing blind allegiance to an organization.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I had a thought as to why I think the words kind, kindness, mercy, etc is better than loyal love or in the case of Micah6:8 to cherish loyalty. Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good. And what is Jehovah requiring of you? Only to exercise justice, to cherish loyalty ( "love kindness ) and to walk in modestly with your God. The way I am thinking is this: if you exercise justice, that would be towards everyone. If you loved kindness, you would be kind to everyone; whereas if you cherished loyalty, it would stand to reason you are only loyal to those you know -I think we are to be kind to all. If you are to loyally love...then again you have to know those whom you loyally love because how can you be loyal to who you don't know? ( hope that made sense ) I found lots of articles on loyalty but not a specific one where It was particularly noted Micah 6:8 from the sivler sword. However I remember that was something that got my attention in the video I watched near a year ago.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I feel compelled to remind you that Micah was extensively redacted and expanded. The 8th century prophet 'prophesied' (chapts 1-3) the Assyrian destruction of Samria and Judah including Jerusalem and temple, when it was quite evident it was likely. Samaria fell as we know and was easy to predict, but Jerusalem did not. IOW the prophet was a 'false' prophet. In response one of the latest editors of Jeremiah (26:18) explained the failure away by saying the people repented. Interestingly this is not reflected in the LXX suggesting this is a very late addition to Jeremiah. The book was reformed/revised/expanded heavily by postExile writers to say he also predicted the destruction of the temple by Babylon. It's a long and winding road but simply said 6:8 was not likely said by the 8th century would be prophet named Micah.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

peacefulpete, I won't debate whether or not Micah was redacted and expanded...the fact is the book is included in what we knowas the Bible. There are quite a number of translations published. The NWT is most unlike how the other translations are rendered for the same word; it was similar until the "silver sword" came out.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I understand, my post was off topic.

• vienne
    vienne

It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
    be compassionate and loyal in your love,
    And don’t take yourself too seriously—
    take God seriously.

ERV

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

If I were to formulate this differently without how it is translated in scripture, so just pretend we haven't gone there: Do the words " love kindness" and "cherish loyalty" mean the same thing? Can they be interchanged without changing the meaning? Let's define in pretty simple terms.

Love- intense feeling of deep affection / To feel affection for someone / Have great interest in or get pleasure from ( I love football ) Like or enjoy very much

Cherish-protect and care for, hold something dear, keep ( a hope or ambition for ) in one's mind

Kindness-the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. A kind act.

Loyalty-the quality of being loyal Strong feeling of support or allegiance

So then there remains: which words better fit what Micah was trying to say within the context of the whole of Micah 6:8?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

enough...Translators of necessity introduce new viewpoints to the work. modern values, personal biases, interpretive choices. Functionally the words used by translations for 'checed' each carry a nuanced meaning. So no, these words cannot all equally accurately convey the meaning of checed in any particular usage.

The WT is making a choice to use 'loyalty'.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

peacefulpete -"the WT is making a choice to use 'loyalty'---Exactly! and I have to question the motivation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit