What would be just enough so they can guard themselves as they grow up?

by Tameria2001 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@Giordano I hadn't even thought about going the human secularist route, never even heard of this term. I'll look up more information about this. Thank you

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

If you purposely set out to teach him that JW's and or religion in general is bad news or that the Bible is nothing but nonsense, you are just as bad as they are.

If, when he asks about things having to do with holidays, customs and religious beliefs that he's heard of, you show him what religion is and help him an overall general understanding of the different beliefs out there and how to look at those beliefs critically yet without judgement of others, he'll be able to see things for himself and realize that its ok to do so.

Having grown up as a JW, I was told what to think and believe about every possible topic before I even wondered about them myself. Not only that, I was told that I would be a huge disappointment to everyone I loved and I would even die if I didn't believe what I was being taught.

I think that it's unlikely that any child who is free to look into whatever interests them and is taught that it's ok to come to his or her own conclusions about things without the fear of being judged or a disappointment to his family, would be readily taken in or mislead by a high control religious group .

I think you should relax and enjoy your grandchild and trust that when the time comes, you'll be able to show him how to see things clearly.

• Della Street
    Della Street

If you are going to inoculate them from any dangerous thinking, do it by setting the example. When you discuss things - ask their opinion, ask them why they think that way, encourage them to question, contradict and doubt you (respectfully of course). Empower them to be confident in their choices and opinions and to think for themselves. Teach them that being kind, respectful and loving towards people does not require agreement.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah, Grandchildren ! they are wonderful, and so lovely ! Congratulations !

I have grandchildren, and am always pleased to answer the many,many (oh so many !), questions. I always answer as correctly as I can, not talking down, though simplifying if necessary.

I think when the question of god, or belief, or similar comes up, I will try to get the kid to think critically, " Is there any proof for that ?" and similar questions that will help them to reason. I will also tell them never to simply believe, proof is needed, or people can, and often will, fool you totally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit