What would be just enough so they can guard themselves as they grow up?

by Tameria2001 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I wasn't sure which topic to ask this question under. Three days ago my very first grandbaby, a boy was born. So I still have time to think about stuff, and not royally screw up things. His mother is an atheist, and his father (my son) has no interest in religion what so ever. I left the JWs just before he started Kindergarten, but he still has just enough knowledge to know that the JWs are nothing but bad news. I already know that they are not going to teach him anything as far a religion is concerned. With me and my husband, we don't do religion either. We have tried other religions and churches in the past but found them all to have their own agendas.

I know that the JWs teach their kids at a very young age, to try to lure their classmates into thinking that the JWs are the way to go, and this is what I want to protect my grandson from. I figured I would keep it a very simple, you know maybe talk to him here and there just a little, without sounding like I'm pushing anything on him. I just want him to be prepared for when the time comes that even in Kindergarten, that he can possibly get those little JWs to doubt their own faith. But for sure, not to be lured in by their lies.

I know I want to teach him some basic bible stories, like Adam and Eve, Noah. Moses, Jesus and a few other of the historical people, without getting into all the gore that gave me horrible nightmares I suffered as a child. This way when they bring up this stuff, he can tell them, "Oh yeah, I already know that stuff." or something like that.

I've already told his mother what JW relatives love to do, and that is to send their relatives who are not JW literature, especially the children; this way she can guard her new son against their influences.

Do you have any recommendations for good books that keep things very light-hearted or just any suggestions in general?

• steve2
    steve2

Be mindful that sometimes warnings stir up curiosity.

BTW, it's hard to escape the gore of the Bible. Look at the instructions Yahweh gave to his "chosen people" to wipe out the Midianites and the gory comeuppances in the book of Judges. oh, and Revelation derives its rich fascination from blood-lust.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@steve2, this is exactly why I'm asking about it now, so as not to royally screw things up.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

So i have a question about this, and contrary to what some may tell you im not trying to be rude, however the question is relevant:

why?

Why is the only question that matters, and on several fronts...

For one thing, having an end result in mind makes it easier to establish a plan to get here. So whats your goal...? Is it to warn him away from the jw’s? Is it teach him christianity? His mother is atheist and his father sounds like he is non practicing of any specific faith as are you and your husband, so why teach him any christianity?

If its to warn him away from the jw’s why do you need to teach him christianity to do that? There are other just as effective ways and those methods could apply to a lot of high control groups or cults, not just jw’s.

Also, why is this your job? He has a mother and a father. That sounds like their job. His mother (as noted earlier) is an atheist, does she want this basic christian education? Does his father? Have they talked about it between themselves as his parents?

Theres a few more questions but in the end, not to put too fine a point on it, why does this fall to you?

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@Morpheus, don't worry I'm not taking anything as rude or offensive, so don't worry. I ask the question so as to get people's thoughts on the matter. I know it doesn't fall on my shoulders, but I do know my kids, they are more into anime and video games than anything else. I don't want to push anything on them, and being a new grandma, is totally new to me. lol Anyways, partly why I'm thinking about it is because for the time being my son and daughter-in-law are living with me. They are hoping to have their own place by February. She is going to finish up her nursing classes, I'm not sure of the exact timing with this part, but it will be soon, and I've volunteered to help them out with the care their baby.

Part of me feels this way because I have lost so much, and I don't want to lose any more to that godforsaken cult. I had my own mother turn her back on me, but that didn't surprise me, because she never had it when I was a JW. But when I left it's what she said to me felt just like she had ripped my heart right out. She is/was a very cruel woman, and still even to this day I feel the effects of what she said to me that day.

• Giordano
    Giordano

When my wife and I left the JW's we had our son and raised him as a human secularist.

People mattered........you need to treat them with respect. You need to understand that there are right things to embrace and bad things to turn away from. Ethics matted.

Google it.........its a far more complete way to raise a child. Embrace critical thinking skills and turn the child away from the rational ignorance which JWs have to embrace.

Most people live normal lives it they have thought out what and how. It they embrace a religion and are obedient to it they look and sound like JW's and others who are in high control religions.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Reasons to go to grandma’s house:

Eat yummy stuff

Learn how to make it

Pick flowers from the garden

Learn their names

There’s no need to fake it

Snuggle under a colorful yarn throw

Learn how to knit or crochet in the snow

Have a tea party with stuffed fuzzy friends

Learn to set a table, with runners and trims

Put on pretty dresses

Learn how to sew

Paint a pretty picture

Learn what makes colors go

Listen to music

Learn how to sing

Fall asleep under the stars

Or watching birds wing

Get warm hugs

Take a bubble bath

Learn from grandma

Things that will last

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

I know you said grandson but you get the idea! Lol

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Gio and gnd sumerized my basic point: while i appreciate your good motive, I tend to think your worrying a bit much. As the little one grows you can have age appropriate discussion about making good decisions. That covers cults and a lot of other ground, and if you see some specific move by a witness relative you know how to head it off :) enjoy being a grandparent and be satisfied knowing that the heartache you delt with wont be foisted on your grandson :)

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@the girl next door, thank you very much for what you posted. I never learned much from my grandparents, my two grandfathers died before I was born (both men were in their 40's), and I never was around my grandmothers much. Mainly because my dad's a jerk, and he hated everyone, including me. I remember being around my mom's mom only a couple of times when I was little, and a just a couple other times with my dad's mom. So I never got to know what it was like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit