Type / Antitype article discredits many JW teachings

by Sanchy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

For decades the type/anti-type was their means of connecting the JWs to all the "Last Day" Bible prophecies. Granted, everything was a wildass stretch of the imagination. Elijah and Elisha represented Rutherford and Knorr. (wt 1965 pg 494-495 par 11-12) The 7 trumpets relate to Cedar Point Conventions. All bullshit, but for decades JWs lapped it up. It made them "special". Without the antitypical application, they are nothing special. Just modern day Bible and magazine salesmen who are tax exempt because they claim to be a religion.

Doc

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Remember the the Survival book? That was types and anti-types on steroids.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@DesirousOfChange wrote:

Elijah and Elisha represented Rutherford and Knorr. (wt 1965 pg 494-495 par 11-12)

I will quote here a sentence from the article, "Turning to Jehovah” (at ¶11):

That prophetically pictured the end of the work by the Elijah class and the continuation of the same work, only intensified, by the Elisha class.

Whether in this quote or anywhere within ¶11 or 12 you formed a conclusion as to antitypes that is unwarranted. You are, of course, entitled to form any conclusion you wish, but my point here is that absent a specific reference to Rutherford and Knorr as antitypes for Elijah and Elisha, respectively, your conclusion is ridiculous. Nowhere in this w65 8/15 article is there a reference to antitypes at all! You may have an ax to grind, and that's fine, but unless you can point to Bible characters that foreshadow or prophetically picture someone else (like how in the w76 1/15 article, Hezekiah and Sennacherib are depicted as being "types" of Jesus Christ and Satan the Devil, respectively, their "antitypes"), you sound rather silly.

I want to explain to you (briefly) that a "type" is an image or representatin of something that will come to pass at some fiture time. An "antitype" is the reality of the thing which the type represents. When Paul says that the quenching of Israel's thirst by the water that issued forth out of the rock, this "water" was a type or pattern of the "living water" that issues forth out of our great Rock, Jesus Christ, the antitype. (1 Cor. 10:1-4) I realize you may not care that which you said here was absurd, but my hope is that if I'm right (that you don't care), someone else reading my post will take my point here in the apirit with which I give it.

@djeggnog

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Sanchy, I remember this study very well, it really helped me with my fading! This crap immediately made me realise one thing...WHY DIDNT THEY INCLUDE A LIST OF WORTHLESS & USELESS OLD "LIGHT".

Guess it must have been decades and hundreds of pages of worthless overactive imagination. Same as with all the changes regarding the red "Climax" book! Has been studied four times at the congregation book study. It has always been my favorite WT book while I was still in, but isn't this book INFECTED and OBSESSED with types-antitypes and typology, constantly highlighting parallels with1st century and putting divine status on WT modern day organization?

Even worse is the parabel about the faithful/discrete slave, as Anders Andersen already pointed out...so sad...as it is an absolute core teaching.

Brrr...future doesn't look good for this cult, although so many are still in WT's utopian hypnotic trance

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Again any time you see the word Evidently it's warning that that BS coming next.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In connection with this, it just occurred to me that they changed the words of "Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty" from "under Christ the greater Gideon" to "under him we firmly take our stand". I wonder if they were preparing to abolish superfluous typologies already in 2009, when the new song book came out. Is Gideon a Bible based typology? Maybe it's in Hebrews (the main source of typologies) I can't remember. I wonder if other typologies were abolished or survived into the new song book.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Eggnog:

See AllTimeJeff's post here:

Elijah/Elisha = Rutheford/Knorr

Overall you might be right though about: "I don't care".

But more than likely it's more like: "I don't give a flying f*ck".

BTW -- I went back and reviewed many of your old posts. Seems obvious you are once again off of your Depakote.

Doc

• smiddy
    smiddy

D.O.C.

The 7 trumpets of revelation relate to Cedar Point Conventions , that was something that started to wake me up though it took many more years for me to exit this man made religion from America.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit