Type / Antitype article discredits many JW teachings

by Sanchy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

I was going over the type / anti-type articles that were released in last year's Watchtower articles and I've just realized how ironic it is that those very articles can serve to demolish some of the most fundamental JW teachings.

Take for instance the "Questions From Readers" section of the March 15, 2015 Watchtower. After mentioning some "far-fetched" interpretations that others have applied to bible events, they go on to say:

If such interpretations seem far-fetched, you can understand the dilemma. Humans cannot know which Bible accounts are shadows of things to come and which are not. The clearest course is this: Where the Scriptures teach that an individual, an event, or an object is typical of something else, we accept it as such. Otherwise, we ought to be reluctant to assign an antitypical application to a certain person or account if there is no specific Scriptural basis for doing so.

(bold is mine)

Now, that got me thinking. How many accounts does the WT give a second bigger significance to, even where there is no "specific scriptural basis for doing so". For instance: Daniel 4. WT uses the vision the Babylonian king received to claim it was actually a phophecy that points to when the "end times" would arrive, specifically 1914. However, nowhere in that chapter -or for that matter elsewhere in the bible- is there a basis for giving this vision any secondary application or significance beyond that which is written, which is that the vision was purely a teaching lesson for the king himself.

Given the lack of scriptural support for this "secondary application" (and so many others), it seems to me they have incriminated themselves with these articles.

How could I have not seen this as I was originally reading it???? (I was still in back then)

• corruptgirl
    corruptgirl
    Yeah it's crazy how indoctrinated we were when we were in that we didn't see these things, and such is the case of all active jw's out there. I think the WT has us so busy with their meetings and preaching and publications, and parts, and so on that we don't have time to truly study anything. And when we do "study" we just take in everything they say and we fail to see things, like this. This is a biggy....what were they thinking in the writing dept? They are so into their own bs that they don't even realize they have torn down everything they stand for!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread sanchy.

Yes, the accounts that detail Jesus talking about the "end of the system" for Jerusalem in 70ce are another example.

He was speaking about that time period...not a future event staring in 1914 and lasting "a generation" of 3 overlapping generations.....

Classic example of stretching an account to make it fit something it was never about.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sadly, the WTBTS Gurus have not learned their lesson. Just check out the current "Study Edition" of the Washtowel Tractazine.

"Evidently", the dry bones of Elisha ( Elijah??? WTF cares...) are typical of events that happened in the early 20th century. Even the "rattling" of the bones were...significant... Of course they must continue with the types/anti-types, lest they lose 1914 and 1919.

The sheeple just too far gone. I often wonder if there is a conspiracy regarding Religion, Politics and Commerce. Could JWism be an experiment to see just how dumb people can become??

DD

• pixel
    pixel

Sadly, the WTBTS Gurus have not learned their lesson. Just check out the current "Study Edition" of the Washtowel Tractazine.

"Evidently", the dry bones of Elisha ( Elijah??? WTF cares...) are typical of events that happened in the early 20th century. Even the "rattling" of the bones were...significant... Of course they must continue with the types/anti-types, lest they lose 1914 and 1919.

WTF? What mag is this DD?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The current study edition. It has a picture of a Dub on some scaffolding and JW. BORG on the cover. Not sure what month it is.

DD

• Alive!
    Alive!

The different anti-types seemed so plausible at the time....

BUT the Revelation book never sat well with me when they 'squished' ancient prophetic scripture to fit in with a chain of events surrounding the society and early WT characters .....I was totally devoted during the times we studied that book - but each time I felt tingles of discomfort reading certain paragraphs.

It's so sad, looking back. If anyone had stuck their hsnd up and said 'this doesn't sound right, it feels entirely wrong' - the problem would have been theirs, not the writing departments.

To understand and accept the teachings was a sign we had 'spiritual insight'.

As I started waking up - I had to wonder, exactly who or what inspired the writers to publish so many false teachings and interpretations?

The problem was that we had no choice - so we couldn't grow at our own pace, but got dragged along with the thoughts of 'men' who were actually invisible strangers to us at the time - and still are, despite the public broadcasts.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Washtowel Tractazine - ha! I actually laughed at that one! 

Yeah their downer on anti-types totally undermines their Babylon 7 times chronology, 1914, and thereby undercuts their own authority. Oops. But probably few JWs notice or care.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

How about the question about a "faithful and discreet slave" in a parable?
    As opposed to a statement about a future reality...

Far-fetched much?

• TD
    TD

Funny stuff. Everything in this religion, starting with the name itself is based on typology and parallelism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit