No updated Watctower's articles on Evolution

by opusdei1972 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• midnight
    midnight

I'm not sure if unfacts is a word lol

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jwfacts lists some misquotes in the Creation book toward the bottom of this page.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/misquotes-deception-lies.php

The Dawkins one is my favourite (they quote the words in red):

Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene, 1976, p.ix:
    "This book should be read almost as though it were science fiction. It is designed to appeal to the imagination. But it is not science fiction: it is science. Cliché or not, "stranger than fiction" expresses exactly how I feel about the truth."
  • midnight
    midnight

Thanks I've got a lot of reading to do I've got to sort out in my head what I truly believe once and for all in order to live my life free from doubts

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Magnum - "I think the Org had a hard time writing the old Creation book; that's why it resorted to deception and quoting from the quack..."

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It was quite the moment when I realized that JWs were so hostile towards evolution, not because they believed it was false...

...but because they were afraid it was true.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Alan Feuerbacher highlights the dishonesty and poor logic in Critique of the March 2014 Awake Article 'The Untold Story of Creation'."

I especially liked this bit:

"To refer to hundreds of millions of years as 'thousands of years' or 'millennia' is like referring to a human life span as 'thousands of microseconds long'. Someone who deliberately does that is either abysmally ignorant or is hiding something."

:smirk:

• TD
    TD

In regard to the OP's question, my guess would be that after 1985, Denton, Johnson and Behe pretty much became the champions of the whole creation movement and that when pressed, the JW's would defer to the works of those individuals today.

How could they have known that Denton's book would come out in the same year as their own? Or how childish they would look in comparison? (Not that I agree with Denton either....)

• midnight
    midnight

I was on the ministry with a brother while I was still a active " publisher " and he said to a householder we don't believe in evolution , the man looked at us like we were a pair of idiots , I had to chip in and say we do as I had been studying micro evolution /adaptation at the time and it sounds really dumb saying I don't believe in evolution full stop . I just lack knowledge of macro evolution at the minute as I've never read up on that as I've only read the society's publications on it

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Bottom line is that the WTS doesn't reject evolution because it's implausible, lacks evidence, or is inherently "atheistic"...

...they reject it because WT cosmology requires the Eden creation narrative in Genesis to be literal history; it doesn't really work otherwise.

Looking back, it was the realization that evolution had to be true - and, more importantly, that the WTS could never budge on it - that started me down the XJW path, in fact.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We were told by a CO that if someone in FS mentioned Darwin we were supposed to say 'do you mean Charles or Erasmus?'. This was supposed to show them how clever we were and throw them of track. How pathetic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit