Dressed up five days ahead of special assembly in Puerto Rico!!

by never a jw 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• never a jw
    never a jw

An hour ago I went to bid good bye my two brothers in law and their wives (all elders/elderettes). They were invited to the special assembly in Puerto Rico this coming weekend. They are boarding the plane in about three hours (leaves at 1:00 am Pacific. time). It's the red eye that makes a short stop in Atlanta, then goes to Puerto Rico and arrives at 3:00 pm.

What's the big deal you may say. Well, everyone was already dressing up for a meeting: women in Amish dresses and men with suit and tie. The assembly starts next Friday for God's sake. This is the summer and they are going to a country with tropical weather. Oh I forgot, one of my SIL had already the assembly ID pinned to her dress. I was told that they were asked to dress up even in the plane.

They are going to ridiculous lengths to save a badly damaged image.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Standard practice I'm afraid. Meeting clothes at all times. There maybe an exception whilst showering.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

"I'll give them new washing machine."

"What have they got there to keep clean?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6wo2wpT2k

not great quality video, but it includes the introduction....

• Chook
    Chook

Big Tony has voyeurism literally covered

• darkspilver
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

Just curious but what was the cost of the society arranged trip. Could you only go as a delegate if you went through the official channel e.g WTBTS. I know with the recent convention they had in this country you could arrange your own flights. But you had to stay in the assigned motels, and pay the asked for price.

• stillin
    stillin

An elder I know was out on his tractor. It broke down and needed a part. So he showers, puts on a suit and goes to the tractor part store like that... Because he is a minister.

Mucky-mucks

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember we were told keep our badges on during lunch breaks outside and coming/going from home to the conventions. I never did. NO ONE ever asks what the badge is for, they just assume (quite rightly) we're a bunch of wierdo's with GOD and JEHOVAH pinned to our chests.

Saw some the other day in town, was so tempted to ask them about their badge so they could jump at the opportunity to talk about their convention. My question would be "but what if you decided to leave your religion? what happens then?"

• James Jack
    James Jack

A friend from Miami is going there also, it's an International Convention.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi joe134cd

I know with the recent convention they had in this country you could arrange your own flights. But you had to stay in the assigned motels, and pay the asked for price.

I understand that is the practise nowadays - a selection of hotels of varying prices, organise your own journey (flights, ship etc) - logistically they really need groups together in various hotels for ease of coach transportation both to the social and sightseeing events and activities and for transport to the Convention venue. They'll normally meet you of the plane or ship and provide transport to your hotel. They'll also normally have a manned information desk at each hotel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit