Blood, The Watchtower and Deceit

by Maximus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• emyrose
    emyrose
    I wonder how Gorman would feel if he knew how his well crafted sentence was lifted out of context? Ethics? Bet he has no idea that what he has written about "justice, integrity, honesty and faithfulness" in the Christian community has been distorted in millions of magazines all over the globe, in scads of languages—in furtherance of a flawed, inconsistent policy that lets children literally die to show respect for life symbolically. Someone ought to write him and ask him what he thinks about the Society’s honesty and faithfulness!

Hi Maximus,
    Thanks for this great info. and presentation.
    I would also love to find out what this author would do if
    he knew his research was being used to endorse the bloodguilty
    policy on blood tranfusions of the Watch Tower Society. I'm
    sure he knows that this policy has resulted in many deaths.

Hi Marvin Shilmer,

Rather, Tertullian’s remark was that the interdict to abstain from blood found in the Apostolic Decree of Acts chapter 15 applies "much more upon human blood" in respect to murder. In this portion of Tertullian we find nothing at all to support the Society’s contention that the Apostolic Decree applied to eating human blood.

Thanks, I didn't know that the WTS fooled us in this reference.
    What a bunch of shameless underhanded liars!

• AlanF
    AlanF

Excellent presentations from Maximus and Marvin!

This illustrates something I discovered upon delving deep into JW literature and 'reasoning': the deeper you go the more deception you find. The originators of the deception -- people like Fred Franz, Fred Rusk and Harry Peloyan -- depend on their subordinates not to recheck their research, and so the deceptions propagate. When the deceptions are ultimately brought to light, the people who have wittingly or unwittingly participated in them are always too arrogant in their cocksureness that God is backing them to admit their errors. Thus, what might even have been a simple mistake at first, becomes a deliberate lie, because the Society's men knowingly propagate it.

AlanF

• Tina
    Tina

Salutatio Maximus

Thank you for the excellent info!
    The dishonest wts scholarship(and I use that word loosely) almost makes me ill. Remembering how I swallowed that swill is even worse.
    Marvin,excellent addendum,regards,Tina
    ((((((fark)))))))))ty for bringing this back up to our attention!

• philo
    philo

Maximus,

Thanks for that powerful expose. I am also interested in calling the WT writers to account for their intellectual dishonesty.

Do you feel they employ these dishonest means across the board, or only carefully and in respect of a small range of difficult issues? This is interesting to me, because if a clear pattern of dishonesty existed, it might indicate that there was a deliberate policy of pious fraud in 'spiritual warfare'.

As for getting Gorman's response, or any and every other ill-used source in WT publications, what a fantastic idea for a whole site! www.never-said-that.com or somesuch name, with quotes, analyses, and reactions from the Gorman's, Hitchins, and all the rest. It could boost critical reading of WT material, not just historical stuff, but hot off the press.

I'm glad you translated:

:"Veritas Vos Liberabit"

I thought it meant:

'folks really [should] live a bit'

Ah! My days of coming 1st in Latin are gone.

philo

ps. thanks for the guilt trip, farkel.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Maximus,

excellent piece of research...it' a
    good proof or for some a remeinder, of the scholastic
    " h o n e s t y " of the WTS writers.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello Maximus:

I must say I'm relatively new to these discussion forums but I too, in the last few months, have learned more here than in my more that 4 decades from the WTS...or shall I say more TRUTH. I truly appreciate your sharing this information with us.

Someone said a few days ago, that learning what we have been learning here from all you who have done such extensive research, has been like receiving a strong blow to the gut, and can't catch our breath.

That's what I feel like again!!! How much more is out there that we have been deceived on? These deliberate misrepresentations in quoting respected authors to back up their doctrines is just deplorable.

I started out thinking that the GB is NOT really TRYING to deceive us, just maybe are mistaken and caught up in the enthusiasm of their 'understanding' of the Bible and their efforts to make us stand apart from Christendoms' false teachings.

I can't accept that anymore....I now fully know they, and I mean the real head honchos like Fred Franz and his righthand henchmen writers, were and are deliberatly doing this. There are too many examples being exposed, by you fine gentlemen researching these publications, that cannot be ignored. Blatant, deliberate misrepresentation!!

And some people wonder why we get angry and hurt when we find these things out?

I add my disgust to the ones who ask "what about all the lives this kind of barbaric lie has cost? What about the families totally torn apart by the WTS enforcement of df'ing those who have given in to taking a blood transfusion?"

But now its OK to take fractions...but let's not go back and reinstate those who were df'd before we allowed this... NO...that would be admitting WE were wrong and everybody knows WE, the GB, are directed by God...new light and all..We're not perfect but we ARE directed by God. And now we won't df anyone who takes blood, just will consider them as making their choice and have da'd themselves.

I'd better quit now before my blood pressure pops.

Had Enough

• Maximus
    Maximus

Thanks for your kind words, Farkel.
    Philo:
    :: Do you feel they employ these dishonest means across the board, or only carefully and in respect of a small range of difficult issues?

The latter is really the case. How do they get by with it? Few in the Society’s audience are equipped with the facts, or the ability to grasp basic fallacies in reason, much less challenge them. Please note that the Society quotes but does not cite or give the reference, and not many would take the time to check the facts.

You must also understand there is a certain culture in the Writing Department that allows this kind of dishonesty. And AlanF is right on target. A certain infallibility complex is there among some, a kind of license under the aegis of the "spirit-anointed governing body."

Thinking of Marvin’s post above, let me say that they will tell you that they are the ones who can understand and interpret what Tertullian meant, never mind what he actually said, because they start with a premise rather than reaching a conclusion after looking at all the facts. They make quotations to make a point, period. They’ve got the backing of the faithful slave, you know, even if individually they do not profess to be of the anointed.

Too, there is a certain circular reasoning that obtains: ‘since the Watchtower is food at the proper time, and since these statements appear in the magazine, they must be true—because they are a product of the holy spirit.’ That is the mindset even with governing body members, who get their magazines, i.e. get fed, at the same time as do other Bethel family members.

Thoughtful persons who know better just keep their mouths shut or pay a price for honesty by being labeled a doubter or troublemaker or worse. Reminds me, Nathan Knorr was actually boastful when he stated to intimates that he had no time to read the publications.

Let me give you some insight: it was painfully obvious to many that the Society’s vacillations on numerous items of policy were glaring to the point of embarrassment. So the late Karl Klein, a senior writer and one of the GB himself, wrote the very strained Watchtower article on "tacking," in an effort to explain away and justify how they could veer left, then right.

Karl himself never embraced the 1975 date; neither did others—Lyman Swingle never embraced the 1914 stuff period. But Karl was an apologist for the Society’s position and loyally tried to explain away the difficulties.

In 1966 I asked Karl how Fred Franz could be trotting out that hoary reasoning on dates again; weren’t we going to be in for a disaster in 1976? Karl told me that it was much like the Judge, who after admitting he had "made an ass of himself" over the 1925 prophetic failure went right back to date-setting. Karl said: "The Judge just really wanted to see the end so bad in his lifetime that he got to believing his own writings." He observed the same thing had happened with Fred Franz, and that FWF felt the stimulus would be good for the organization even if it were not true.

What you have is followers following followers following followers, in a system that has momentum of his own and not easily changed.

Let me offer another example of the use of selective quotations. For many, many years the Society has quoted famed British astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle out of context. They have portrayed him as against evolution and as a creationist. I’ll be charitable and say that writer after writer trotted out the same stuff for years, without checking. You can find the citations for yourself, so I’ll just supply Hoyle’s.

Take a look at the dust jacket of his book "The Intelligent Universe" which speaks for itself: "The **Darwinian** theory of evolution is shown to be plainly wrong. Life has evolved [!!!] because biological components of cosmic origin have been progressively assembled here on Earth. These components have arrived from outside, borne in from the cosmos on comets" ... "The key to understanding evolution is the virus. The viruses responsible for evolution and the viruses responsible for diseases are very similar." (Published first in 1983 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.)

Note that it is Darwinism and not evolution that Sir Fred takes issue with. He believes that our planet is an "assembly station" that was "seeded" from outer space and that life did indeed evolve, just not from inanimate matter. Please also note that his thesis is not buried somewhere in his books; they are the heart and soul of his clearly written argument.

It is difficult to believe that the Society’s writers have never read an entire publication by Sir Fred or more than a line or two. If they have not, their misrepresentations are indefensible. If they have read his books, they are obviously suppressing or misrepresenting what the distinguished astronomer really espouses, because it is quite impossible to read his books without understanding what he clearly articulates.

In using this and similar books in the past, perhaps the Society’s writer looked only at the FRONT of the book’s dust jacket, whose subtitle is "A New View of Creation and Evolution," and did not look at the BACK, on which there are a picture of the astronomer and in large print the words, "We have DESCENDED FROM LIFE SEEDED FROM THE DEPTHS OF SPACE." (Caps mine.)

On page 41 of the Creator book under the heading "A Deliberate Intellectual Act" in another, longer quotation we read (finally after all these years) the all-but-buried clause referring to Hoyle, "even espousing that life on earth arrived from outer space," while the paragraph ends by quoting him that "it seemed better to suppose that the origin of life was a deliberate intellectual act." (You are encouraged to read the entire page for yourself.)

Sounds great, he believes in God and creation, right? Once again the sentences are taken out of context, so that the reader will infer what the author does not imply. The reader readily concludes that a toweringly important scientist believes what JWs believe.

Read for yourself Hoyle’s discussions about cosmic intelligences superior to ours. And what does he actually believe about creation?

In his own words: "It makes little difference whether the Universe was created in 4004 BC as Archbishop Ussher asserted, or 10,000,000 years ago, if indeed there ever was a creation, which as we have seen there are plenty of reasons to doubt." [!]

Hoyle winds up his argument by noting: "Because the correct logical procedure is to build upwards from precisely formed subroutines, we on the Earth had to evolve [!] from a seemingly elementary starting point. Yet so powerful was the onward surge, so urgent the climb up the great mountain, that on Earth a creature at last arose with an inkling in its mind of what it really was, a whisper of its identity: We are the intelligence that preceded us in its new material representation—or rather, we are the re-emergence of that intelligence, the latest embodiment of its struggle for survival." (Pp. 238, 239.)

You be the judge: Does Sir Fred Hoyle believe what the Society would have you think? Is the basic belief of Sir Fred Hoyle supportive of the Society’s position? Absolutely not. That hasn’t stopped them from misquoting him for years.

A final thought: When teaching at Gilead School, Bert Schroeder (now an aged and frail member of the GB) used to cite the rule "falsus in uno, falsus in toto" as a standard to determine trustworthiness—"untrue in one, untrue in all."

Time to apply this yardstick.

Maximus

• philo
    philo

Maximus,
    I don't want to discourage you posting here AT ALL, the reverse in fact, but you're work is too substantial to be posted on a message board only. If you haven't already, you ought to place it somewhere it can linger. You may know this already, I'm only saying it in case you are new to the Internet.

Tell us more about yourself if you can; I am sure I'm not just speaking for myself.

Your comment "followers of followers of followers" is brilliant. It is so accurate and pulls together a host of arguments. It also reminds one of Ray Franz' "victims of victims" from Crisis. Damn it! I can feel another bloody poem happening. Thanks for nothing

philo

P.S. People often refer to "circular reasoning" when talking about WT Society arguments. Exactly what do we mean? I suppose it is failure to establish arguments on 'outside' facts. Like building a ladder and climbing it at the same time, or an 'indian rope trick'.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Philo,

:P.S. People often refer to "circular reasoning" when talking about WT Society arguments. Exactly what do we mean?

Circular reasoning is when the conclusion is used to prove the assertion, which is then used to prove the conclusion.....

Here are several easily-understood examples.

"The Bible is God's Word. How do we know the Bible is God's Word?"
    Because the Bible SAYS it is God's word, that's why."

"The Governing Body acts as spokesmen for the Faithful and Discrete Slave class, which was appointed by Jehovah Himself."

"Yeah, well how do you know that?"

"Since the Governing Body is now acting as spokesman for Jehovah and the FDS, it MUST be true." (In otherwords, the GB is God's spokesman because it says its God's spokesman!)

This is a form of a fallacy of Presumption called "Begging the Question," and actually is a form of deception, because the arguer is trying to give validity that is not established. Here's another example:

Here's another one that many people will swear "makes sense":

"Capital punishment is justified for the crimes of murder and kidnapping because it is quite legitimate that someone be put to death for such hateful crimes."

This is the kind of thing one sees all the time in newspaper editorials, but when you cut through the crap, the argument boils down to: capital punish is justified because it is justified, which is not an argument at all, but an opinion. Nothing is proven. The deceptive phrase "quite legitimate" means it is "justified."

Farkel

• Maximus
    Maximus

Thanks for the "circular reasoning" post, Farkel.

For those of you writing me and asking what the picture is beneath my moniker, see below. Sigh. That's getting more play than my material.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit