Would you leave the Watchtower if you woke up at age 80 plus, or just stay in for the rest of your life.

by pistolpete 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PISTOLPETE:

As the elderly man said, you have no idea how lucky you are. You got Out at an early age.

He is realistic in knowing that at his age (over eighty) he may as well stay put. He knows the deal with the JW religion that he and his wife would be shunned and they would have no friends and nobody to help out if they need a favor. He doesn’t need the grief.

As JWGONEBAD says: There is no way of knowing how many JWs in any given congregation who secretly don’t believe. Maybe it’s even higher than one quarter of them...I also disagree with anybody who feels they have to put pressure on people they know who are still in. Believe me, if anybody wants Out, they’ll get the hell out.

I’m just Glad I ‘Faded’ out of the JW religion twenty years ago while I was still working and in time to reconnect with my non-JW family and make things good again! This was priceless to me. 👍🏻

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

This reminds me of a line Morpheus says in the Matrix:

"Most of these people are not ready to be unplugged."

And they NEVER WILL!

They will die believing they will be resurrected into a paradise earth.

Not necessarily a bad way to go.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I understand this guy very well. I was a "born in" and realised about 14 years ago it is all a big con. However I just couldn't walk away and leave my wife and family. Too much to lose. I still have some brothers who work for me part time and it just isn't worth the hassle of leaving. I will probably die before my wife and I wouldn't want to leave her all alone. There is so little I could do that I cannot do now.

I just wish I was 18 again, knowing what I know now.........

George

• Overrated
    Overrated

The flip-flop in doctrine, the empty promises, the sacrifices of education money and time for a self serving organization no longer made any sense to me.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I feel for those who are stuck in the trooth for family or other reasons. It is really "hotel California, You can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave". Truely is hell!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Keep in mind this is based on when I left in the 90s before the real crazy started. But I feel like if there was anyone for me to go back for, being JW wouldn't be all that bad.There's really nothing I want to do that I couldn't do as a JW. And knowing what I know now I wouldn't feel bad about keeping anything that might get me in trouble a secret.

Admittedly having to listen to the current tripe they are serving up might be more than I could take.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
  • FFGhost
    FFGhost

I suspect there are 10s if not 100s of thousands of JWs in exactly the same position - they know it's all bunkum but it's the only life they know. It would be horrifically daunting to build a new life from scratch, so why not just stick around with the life you know and do as little damage to others (token field service, no contributions, no congregational responsibilities) as you can?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is a quandary when you get talking to an Elderly J W who has not woken up, knowing the circumstances of a few like this that I have spoken to, I refrain from trying to waken them at all, believing the kindest thing is to leave them in their Support System.

If I later find out I made the wrong decision, perhaps one of them will wake up and berate me for NOT telling them, but at least then I can say, " Well I really did have your best interests at heart", the alternative, waking them up then they end up lonely, with no support, is too much responsibility for me.

I wonder how many like that old gentleman and his wife exist in the Ranks of JW's ? Probably a lot that kinda feel it is all bullshit, and a few, like him, who have researched, and KNOW it is.

Personally, if I woke up at age 80 or over I would still leave, even if it meant being lonely, and without the support of JW's. This is the decision I made when in my late 50's, and would do the same again, but that is just me. I think people should do what they feel is right for them.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    Phizzy

This is the decision I made when in my late 50's, and would do the same again, but that is just me. I think people should do what they feel is right for them.

In my opinion 50s is still kind of young. Before covid, I used to play basketball with a bunch of 50 year old guys. And some of them looked thirtyish and had girlfriends in their 20s.

But 80ish is a different story. By that time you've had a Good Run and are now just waiting for the inevitably. At this point you are now looking back at the good old days and pondering over the good memories. If you have a wife you start worrying about her if you die first. Yet at the same time you dread seeing her get sick, in pain and finally dying.

At this point I'm assuming that being IN or OUT of the WT doesn't really matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit