A Seal Ring bearing King Hezekiah's found in Jerusalem excavation, with ankh symbol and winged sun

by fulltimestudent 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting. Pretty amazing if it really belonged to Hezekiah. The "pagan" symbols have pretty profound implications for a King that allegedly cleaned up Judah:

2 Kings 18: 2 - 4 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem, and his mother’s name was Abi the daughter of Zechariah. And he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, like all that his father David had done. He abolished the high places, and smashed the monuments, and cut down the asherah, and crushed the copper serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the children of Israel were burning incense to it; and he called it Nehushtan.

But I gotta ask: Why would this be in a garbage heap?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Oubliette: But I gotta ask: Why would this be in a garbage heap?

Probably because it was not going to be used anymore. It could have been thrown out after King Hezekiah died.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    VI, the king is dead. Long live the King!
  • prologos
    prologos

A Seal Ring bearing King Hezekiah's found

It was not a ring that was found, but a seal impression, formerly attached to a document that might have decayed, that is why it was in a dump near Hinnom perhaps, a precious metal ring might have been found, melted down, but a piece of clay?

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    Why are people going through my trash without permission?
  • respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Can't wait to see the excitement of the discovery over on jwtalk, followed quickly with the excuses and rationalization of presence of the Ankh symbol...best running theory?: Some apostate palace worker carved the symbol on his seal, Hezekiah found out and had it thrown away in the trash. See? That's why it was found in the trash, and it's further evidence of King Hezekiah's zeal for pure worship!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Are there no good kings left?
  • millie210
    millie210
    respectful_observer
    Can't wait to see the excitement of the discovery over on jwtalk, followed quickly with the excuses and rationalization of presence of the Ankh symbol...best running theory?:

LOL, I bet NO ONE will be commenting on the commonalities between old king Hezekiah and C.T. Russells artwork.

• OverlappingGeneralizations
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Wow, all that destroying of pagan monuments. . .he'd be a terrorist in 2015.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit