What happens to Bethelites?

by rickroll 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

In the KH in this area, they built on a detached little house for a special pioneer couple. They are not required to mow the lawn, do upkeep on the building or property because this becomes income and taxable. Besides the BOE has said that those duties are supposed to be training for brothers coming up the ranks as to their reliability (haha).

The US government has been working on the idea that housing provided to ministers, priests, etc., should be counted as income and taxed. I'm not sure what the status of that is.

Hopefully, these Bethelites have stayed in contact with some jws outside Bethel using perhaps their special status as Bethelites. Ray Franz and his wife Cynthia had no children but a jw that they had kept in contact over the years and visited often, helped them out with a job and housing. Although Ray had not paid into social security for the required 4 years (10 credits a year = 40 min required, working full-time), he worked for another 4+ years to qualify and his wife qualified for ss as his wife.

Plus, if your income is below a certain level, many people qualify for certain services, food, etc. I knew special pioneers under 50 who kept their income low on purpose so they would qualify for these and pay little tax.

• Simon
    Simon
    I knew special pioneers under 50 who kept their income low on purpose so they would qualify for these and pay little tax.

In the UK we called them spongers, benefits cheats, a burden on society - perfectly capable of work but, well, too "precious" with their hobby lives to work hard and contribute like normal hard-working people do.

It's why I have little sympathy with them and no one owes them a dime.

• fulano
    fulano

When we left missionary-service in 1999, after almost a year in Brooklyn, and went back to Europe, we got our tickets as a loan.. As we served before at the branch of our country, the brothers here (not the initiative of HQ) were kind enough to offer us a three months allowance as special pioneers, without hours requirements, until we would arrange our life. No housing, nothing. In fact we were reasonable enough to recognise we all did it voluntarily. So soon I found a job as a sales advisor for a UK company, and we got a reasonable apartment after two or three months. What was an eye-opener that even well-done relatives, all elders didn’t give a shyt and never helped us.

What is funny is I have now friends with the same weird back-grounds as I have. For instance a SAS veteran, who started as a plumber in my company, now a friend. He talks about killing people with the same lack of feelings I have in life. Killing this Al Baghdadi was a laugh to him this morning... they are all cowards, those Arabs, when it was their turn,every single one shitted and wet themselves...

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I know of two separate couples who a few years ago were invited to Bethel. One brother because of his expertise in electronics...the other because of his knowledge pertaining to audio. They both felt confident they'd be there for many years to come. Recently, both couples received their 'Dear John' letters stating that because they would soon be joining the over-the-hill seventies club...that Mother would no longer need their services. Mother had one last request of both couples though...that instead of going back home...to rather choose a congregation in the U.S. territory in need of elders. The nerve of Mother the beech!

PS: Both couples are to fend for themselves...very little if any help offered!

• LV101
    LV101

How many of them fake physical, anxiety attacks, agoraphobia, mental problems, etc., to take advantage of social security services and collect disability insurance (which are tax free) so they can pioneer and be elevated within the cult's ranks. I've heard of many of these situations. They're too lazy to work and are parasites to society.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

They spend their active years claiming to not be a part of the world, but when necessity strikes will quickly resort to Ceasar's social security system.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Fulano: even cities give bus tickets to winos so they will leave. Did you repay the loan?

• fulano
    fulano

No of course I didn’t ... it was so rude to make this offer to us, after almost ten years of sweating on tropical streets. They really are shameless.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

On this same topic:..I’m sure they are not even done letting people go, so this tragedy is still unfolding. I would imagine any bethelite anywhere should have a plan in the event it happens to them. I don’t think anybody can feel secure there no matter their age.

I read on another forum about a non-Witness man supporting his ex-bethelite in-laws!! They are in late ‘60s, no skills, got let go several years back. They are living in a trailer totally dependent on his charity. He knows they can never repay him.

Another story tells of ex-JW children supporting their elderly broke need-greater JW parents. These JWs sold the family house to go where the ‘need was great’ and the proceeds of the house are gone.

I’m sure there are thousands of stories like this all over the place but I’ll bet the ex-bethelites are keeping quiet about it so as not to bring bad publicity to the religion. They are just supposed to go slink quietly into the night.

If this was any other organization this would be on the news!

• LV101
    LV101

It's sad when they receive the 'you're done' line/notice -- it could have been reality for many of us when we were under the spell of the cult. I can't imagine the Catholic church treating their priests/nuns like this but who knows. I'm sure WT isn't unique and Scientology and other cults are merciless once they can't use/abuse one any longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit