What REALLY defines a person as being anti-Semitic?

by The Fall Guy 20 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Does criticism or opposition to the Israeli Government's zionist agenda legitimately constitute someone being branded as an anti-Semite?

Is it this definition which is actually being targetted at certain members of the Labour party?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Criticism of the Israeli government doesn't mean somebody is anti-Semitic.

However, if they hold Israel to higher standards than the surrounding countries, well then you start to wonder ...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Probably an irrational hatred of someone because they are Jewish?

I'm afraid that often times, labels such as racist, homophobe, anti-Semitic are slapped onto people to shut down any logical discussion.

As for politicians being labelled......well, I take it with a pinch of salt.

Criticism of the Israeli government doesn't mean somebody is anti-Semitic.

..and this is a truth that those who wish to smear another conveniently ignore.

• jhine
    jhine

l am not a Labour supporter but in the interest of fairness l have wondered about that . Things look pretty bad when senior Jewish Labour members resign citing anti-Semitism as the reason . Would they , for love of their party , not acknowledge the difference ?

lt appears that there have been accusations of anti-Semitic tweets from Labour MPs and Ministers . Were these just condemnations of the Zionist agenda , does anyone know ?

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Were these just condemnations of the Zionist agenda , does anyone know ? - Corbyn, the Labour leader, has never said he hates Jews or that Jews are inferior, or whatever. So - on the surface at least - he doesn't seem to be anti-Semitic.

Where I take issue with him is his blatant double standards. He's been highly critical of Israel (the world's only Jewish state) throughout his long political career. During that time, he hasn't really criticised the barbaric regimes that surround Israel. It could be argued he's anti-Semitic on this basis; a kind of subtle anti-Semitism.

There was a ceremony in Tunisia for the dead Palestinian terrorists who shot the Israeli athletes in the 1970s Olympics (sorry, can't remember which year). Jeremy Corbyn was in attendance in Tunisia, laying a wreath ... er, in the name of 'peace', you understand.

Another issue is that Labour courts the British Muslim vote ... and there are some full-on anti-Semites among British Muslims.

• jhine
    jhine

Good points LUHE .

Jan

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I watched the Andrew Neil interview yesterday and he did refuse to apologise for not taking swifter action against anti-Semitic comments. I thought why doesn't he just do it? Then I remembered that most politicians would say something like, I'm sorry that people feel that way, I'm sorry people were offended. Would that have any value?

For that matter would an unreserved apology and promise it would never happen again have any value? Journalists with their broken record technique just strike me as stupid and childish sometimes.

• dozy
    dozy

I'm no fan of Corbyn but I don't believe that he is antisemitic per se - he just has a long history of supporting the Palestinians , including some of the terrorist groups like Hamas. There certainly are elements in the far left Momentum group that are , though , and this is his power base.

I have always found it odd that both the far left and the far right have antisemitic agendas , but for different reasons and motivations.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

According to the Sunday Times, the problem with anti-semitism in the Labour party only reached it's present levels when Labour threw open the doors to membership of the party to anyone who could afford the £3 fee. It's rumoured that many of those new members were in fact muslims, so I guess that could explain a lot.

• cofty
    cofty

Anti-Semitism in the British Labour party goes way beyond criticism of Israel's foreign policy.

It is a deep-seated poison going back many decades in the left wing of the party that has been unleashed by the rise of Jeremy Corbyn and his grassroots organisation Momentum.

Mostly it is revealed on social media but frequently spills out into the real world. There are literally thousands of examples.

Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic of this I have no doubt.

He does not think that anti-Semitism is racist since in his mind racism is only possible towards weaker groups.

See 'The Lefts Jewish Problem' by David Rich for a thorough account of the history and depth of this issue and for evidence of Corbyn's personal culpability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit