Why aren't there windows in the KH?

by longgone 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

The halls I went to had no windows and steel doors with no glass. All the new halls I helped construct also had no windows. I was always told it was for security reasons and I never doubted that.

• tiki
    tiki

Windows in the auditorium foment mental wandering....you see a blue sky and a nice day and start fantasizing about being at a beach...lake...hiking a trail..mowing your lawn...plus Windows and window treatments are expensive. Reclaimed brick is a helluva lot cheaper. And make the place nice and claustrophobic and keep the culties culted.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Instead of listening to the speaker, your mind begins plotting on how you can escape through the window.

Rub a Dub

• honest
    honest

In Australia all the kh have windows. We have strict building codes.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I just had the unfortunate experience of being in a KH in a different city, for the sake of family still in.

No windows, single wide steel door with no window, and the door was promptly locked from the inside at the start of the meeting. Anyone who was late, or like me stepped outside for some fresh air and elbow room, had to knock loudly on the door and be re-admitted by one of the attendants who glared and made a comment about not appreciated the "food at the proper time".

• Wayward
    Wayward

My former congregation's first KH had windows. The curtains were always kept drawn so no one could look out. 'Too distracting' was the explanation. When the new KH was built, no windows. Not one. The explanations depended on who you asked. Even doctors', dentists' and lawyers' offices have windows.

FedUp, your story reminds me of the time when local elders decided to lock the doors during meetings for 'security'. If you wanted to leave in the middle, you had to ask one of the 'attendants' to let you out. That lasted until someone tipped off the local fire chief who in turn read the elders the riot act. Turns out it was illegal to lock the doors in case of fire. They were courting a mass casualty disaster. I think they got off with just a warning.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

They don't want the light to seek out, spiritual light.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

They don't want any Noo Light to leak.

Rub a Dub

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think its a security and cost reduction issue. Here in the Caribbean (at least in my country) where the incidence of break-ins is low and the climate is warm year round, all the kingdom halls have lots of windows.

I believe windowless KHs are a feature in temperate countries (windows result in greater heat loss in winter, increasing heating costs) and where there is a higher incidence of break-ins.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have never been in a kingdom hall without windows.

But I have been out since 83.

I think it is the dumbing down of Amerika.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit