2016 Election getting family members disfellowshipped

by Ryan007 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ryan007
    Ryan007

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/21/election-rhetoric-getting-people-uninvited-thanksgiving/94208524/

Sarah-Jane Cunningham knew that her Facebook posts about the election were rubbing her family the wrong way, but she didn’t realize the posts would get her uninvited from Thanksgiving dinner.

The 19-year-old said her mother called a week before Thanksgiving and confronted her about the Facebook posts regarding President-elect Donald Trump.

“She asked me if I was going to be disrespectful to my family, and I told her that it could work either way, Cunningham said. "If the things I am saying are disrespectful to Trump supporters, the things they are saying are also disrespectful to me.”

Cunningham's response got her uninvited to her family’s Thanksgiving dinner in Maine. She said that while her mom later called and tried to make things right, it was too late and she plans to hang out with her two cats in Boston on Thanksgiving.

And she won’t be the only one whose political views earned them the a spot on the uninvited list at family Thanksgiving.

On Twitter, Trump and Clinton supporters-alike shared their stories about getting uninvited from Thanksgiving.

• baker
    baker

Huh? Duh, are you lost? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

• Ryan007
    Ryan007

"Huh? Duh, are you lost? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Well, this is the first time I've heard of politics dividing families in the United States. Ideological divisions aren't strictly static to religion, even in a democracy.

• baker
  • schnell
    schnell

The subject line is misleading. Regardless, yes, this was apparently an uncomfortable Thanksgiving. Hence the #soanyway hashtag on social media.

And yes, I'm sure there were more than a few announcements made afterwards or more to come.

Mail in ballots put a damper on that though.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

baker - Ryan never said anything about the price of tea in China. If that was a joke on your part, you're going to have to explain it, and if you have to explain a joke, then it obviously isn't funny.

• schnell
    schnell

It's an expression, Nevuela.

• Ryan007
    Ryan007

Just so you know, I'm not an apostate Jehovah's Witness.

I don't agree with the viewpoints of apostate Jehovah's Witness. To me, they're antagonistic.

In all honesty, I found politics 2016 even more antagonistic.

From the terror and riots of Black Lives Matter to the Obama administration's policy on intimate facilities in public schools, when Trump got elected, the next morning, I was walking on sunshine.

I'm just taking a second to say, you people don't bother me anymore.

• schnell
    schnell

Aw shucks, really? Welp, glad you're neutral and all.

• Ryan007
    Ryan007

"Aw shucks, really? Welp, glad you're neutral and all."

I'm glad this forum is neutral and all. Happy thanksgiving and merry Christmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit