We Need To Get Rid Of Thomas Jefferson Statues and George Washington Too!

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

This could solve the problem..

• LV101
    LV101

US easy target -- why aren't these students going to other countries where slavery is ongoing today -- I wonder why! Maybe because of their limitless freedom here thanks to our founding fathers who sacrificed with their own assets (literally - financing even the army) lives, families.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

why aren't these students going to other countries where slavery is ongoing today - the mind boggles.

Here's some info about Mauritania. It's a country in the Maghreb (Arabized north west Africa).

Slavery was officially banned in 2007. This means that there are people in Mauritania alive today that are freed slaves ... in the 21st century.

Although nominally abolished in 1981, it was not illegal to own slaves until 2007 ... Only one person, Oumoulmoumnine Mint Bakar Vall, has been prosecuted for owning slaves and she was sentenced to six months in jail in January 2011.[77] In 2012, it was estimated that 10% to 20% of the population of Mauritania (between 340,000 and 680,000 people) live in slavery.[78] (1)

The Haratin people make up 34 - 40% of Mauritania's population. They have at least some sub-Saharan ancestry, apparently.

The word Haratin has been traced to two roots. The first root is from haratine, the Arabic word for "plowmen".[2] The second etymology is based from the Berber word ahardan referring to skin color, more specifically "dark color".[8] (2)

From what I gather, there are three tiers to Mauritanian society. There's the Moor tier (Arab-Berber); there's the Haratin; and then there's the darkest people made up exclusively of West African origin - Soninke, Pulaar, Wolof, etc.

[Ethnic groups] black Moors (Haratines - Arab-speaking slaves, former slaves, and their descendants of African origin, enslaved by white Moors) 40%, white Moors (of Arab-Berber descent, known as Beydane) 30%, sub-Saharan Mauritanians (non-Arabic speaking, largely resident in or originating from the Senegal River Valley, including Halpulaar, Fulani, Soninke, Wolof, and Bambara ethnic groups) 30% (3)

We never hear about this, do we?

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania#Modern_slavery

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haratin

3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Mauritania

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks for the links, LUHE. Slavery was natural order - still ongoing in Africa and what about Italy? Seems there were many slaves in factories but not now? Poverty and ability to support oneself is the culprit -- it's hard to accept but it's history in US and no longer exists.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

The problem of judging the historical actions of the past is that most people do it while wearing 21st century lenses, instead of considering the contemporary attitudes and values of that particular time period. And while my own pre-civil war knowledge is a bit limited (primarily because I'm not American), as I understand things, Abraham Lincoln didn't take a hard-line on the slavery issue himself until 1864, which was 3 years into the fighting. Meaning of course, that in the mind of Lincoln, slavery was not the prime reason for prosecuting the south. Thus we must conclude, any demonization of Jefferson must be tempered not by our own ideals but through the context of their own century ... or we must similarly blame Lincoln for being soft on the crime here discussed, or worst still judge him as being an opportunist in using slavery as a political tool in support of the north's war machine.

As with all things ... you can't have it both ways.

• minimus
    minimus

I’ll bet that people with this mentality are very upset with their parents. Anybody that got a spanking or was he all dad is taking it out on society now

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Zombie is right for thousands of years slavery was in existence slaves were the spoils war and what not Greece, all around the Mediterranean it was a common practice. I don't judge GW and TJ as bad people they were in my book good even though they had slaves and lots of money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit