We Need To Get Rid Of Thomas Jefferson Statues and George Washington Too!

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Hofstra students in New York have gotten together to rid the campus of a statue of Thomas Jefferson because he was a racist slave owner. I’m sure people hate many of the founding fathers because of their histories.

We need to get rid of any reminder of our sordid past.

• cofty
    cofty

Stalin and Mao were masters of airbrushing history.

Young people have always tended to see the world in simplistic terms of 'good versus evil'. The current generation show no signs of growing out of it. I blame their over-indulgent parents.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree...!students are always offended and marching over something! The parents and teachers coddle the kids.

• minimus
    minimus

Funny thing happened today... I was playing tennis this morning and a 5 year old boy named Connor asked me what my name was. I told him, he said Minimus, can I play tennis too? I said , no. The kid immediately started balling his eyes out on cue and the other guys playing tennis began razzing me for making a little kid cry. Meanwhile, the nana who I know just said he could play later and walked away. Kids are growing up to be wusses.

• LV101
    LV101

Why should one generation (college age) and a few liberal instructors get to decide what to destroy -- of course, it is not removing or deleting history excuse. A few 'dulged' generations floating around -- if you've ever read The Millionaire Next Door it completely sums up parents from 60s 'til now.

• Incognito
    Incognito

What next? Erasing their terms as President?

Not intending to imply it was OK but, being racist and a slave owner in the day of the founding fathers, were probably common and accepted practices for men of stature. Apparently, 12 Presidents owned slaves during part of their lives, 8 supposedly while in office.

What commonly accepted practices today will be considered to be racist, archaic or unacceptable in 100 years from now.

• minimus
    minimus

It reminds me of the Taliban who destroyed historical monuments, pictures, art, etc. They couldn’t take any sort of idolatry or representations that violated their culture.

These weirdos are offended by anything that goes against their beliefs.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hofstra students in New York have gotten together to rid the campus of a statue of Thomas Jefferson because he was a racist slave owner - there's nothing wrong with an honest discussion about slavery.

But that's not what these students want.

What they are trying to do is use our forefathers' sins/crimes as leverage to change society now, no questions asked.

But - and this is a key point - it's only the West that these students target.

They don't target Turkey because of the Ottoman Empire.

They don't target Arab countries because of Arab Muslims spreading Islam by the sword, plus buying African slaves from west and east Africa.

They don't target Ethiopians because of the Abyssinian Empire.

They don't target the Japanese because of the Japanese Empire.

They don't target Chinese because of the Chinese Empire.

They don't target Russia because of the Russian Empire.

And they literally have nothing to say re African chieftains and kings selling other Africans into slavery.

Anyone remember some South African student who was at Oxford uni? He protested against the Rhodes statue and campaigned to have it removed ... turns out he was on a Rhodes scholarship. XD

F**k me ...

• minimus
    minimus

Love... great post! The hypocrisy is what gets me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To me, removing statues because of breaking laws that didn't even exist then is only going to make it easier for them to go after us all for breaking the Noahide Law. Even if the incidents happened years before Noahide Law went into full effect. Every time we vilify someone that did what was deemed good at the time but is no longer accepted, it makes it that much easier for them to retroactively go after every single one of us.

And I am not denying that many presidents owned slaves during the early period. But, how many purchased slaves to take them away from people that wanted to abuse them? Every slave Jefferson had is a slave that was bought out from under someone that only wanted them to suffer. From what I heard, Jefferson never beat his slaves just to increase their productivity. These people took good care of their slaves, knowing that had they not bought them, someone else would have abused those slaves. Is that still so racist?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit