Latest jw broadcast referring to allegations of protecting pedophiles

by jonahstourguide 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Seeing this guy live on stage for the first time was a turning point for me it instilled a huge credibility deficit.

RB

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

RB

First time I was amazed that nobody sermrd to notice. I fully expected giggles and laughter

• WordlyArtist
    WordlyArtist

I'm guessing this is in regards to that cult program where we found out that they'd paid out like, 16 million dollars to settle lawsuits from people who had been abused as children? I'm not a JW, my Dad is, hes the only one in my family but he's been one for as long as I can remember and despite that, were really close. When I told him about the payouts he was stunned into silence. He didn't know what to say, but because he was talking to me he didn't try any of that apostate/Satan bs. I reminded him about the 2 witness rule. I found it odd that he didn't remember when I can remember it from when I was a child, I remember hearing about it and realizing what the ramifications of that were and being really sad about it.

Then I saw what happened when you come up against it. An elders son molested a girl who was under 13. Very quickly she and her family disappeared completely from our congregation, and everyone was talking about how Matt got charged with statutory rape because he was dating a girl a few years younger than him and her parents didn't like it. It turned out that she was under 13 and he was over 25. I saw the Meghans law listing for myself. Its amazing how the JWs will protect the perpetrator all the way from Bethel to each individual congregation.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I sent a friend of mine emails linking the clip of Lett ( that is in this discussion) I also sent a linked news article about the Lawyers being sanctioned for mispresenting ( lies) and then a link to the court's judgement where Brumbly was found in the wrong. I got back and email not to send anything more! I had been sending some other errors I found in what WT says and the attitude was, they aren't inspired and I am sorry you have doubts. Conclusion: people are deluded and love the lies! Once in a phone conversation I said how we had been preaching lies to people and their attitude : it was not lies--we just hadn't new light yet. It is all so disgusting!

• DarleneGatus
    DarleneGatus

Unfortunately, this makes it even harder for a mum in a congregation to speak out to protect her own or another mum's child or children against a creepy brother because she would be accused of being the voice of Satan. Now how do you protect kids...?

• Biahi
    Biahi

Darlene, you ask how moms can protect their kids. You can’t, in this organization. After it happens, everyone is just supposed to forgive and forget, and move on. And, never tell the authorities because it will “bring reproach on Jehovah’s name.” 💩🤮

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Call the Police.

Get DF'd.

But at least you've protected children from harm which is more than 'god's mouthpiece on Earth(tm)' will ever do because I'm convinced they are paedophiles themselves.

• LV101
    LV101

The mind-controlled JWs I know would never look at facts re/their cult religion online to consider reality.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The first time I saw Lett speak, I thought somebody had digitally altered his voice to make him sound weird.

Seriously.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'We must be careful about believing everything presented in the media about Jehovah's organization.'

'False and exaggerated news reports are very common.'

Oct. 9, 2021

'Lawsuit alleges church elder sexually abused youth

Allegations also say other elders threatened to sue family of victim if they referred abuse complaint to law enforcement.

BY STEPHEN BETTSREPORTER: COURIER-GAZETTE

A lawsuit has been filed on behalf of a local woman who said she was repeatedly sexually assaulted as a child by an elder at the Rockland Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Rockport.

The lawsuit was filed Sept. 30 in the Knox County court against the Rockport congregation and Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

The woman said she was molested multiple occasions between 1993 and 1996 when she was 11 to 13 years old. The victim disclosed to her mother about the abuse in 1996 and the mother immediately informed the other elders of the congregation, the lawsuit stated.

Instead of investigating the allegations or removing the elder from his position, the elders threatened a lawsuit against the victim’s family if they went public. That pressure led the family not to report the abuse to law enforcement, according to the lawsuit.

Shortly after the woman reported the abuse, the congregation disfellowshipped her, with the elder who said she abused her being on the judicial committee that took the action.

The newspaper is not identifying the woman because she is alleged to be the victim of sexual assault.

Advertisement

The public information desk for Watchtower issued a statement Friday in response to a request for comment by the newspaper.

“Out of respect for the judicial process and the privacy of those involved, we do not comment on the details of pending litigation. For more information on the scriptural position of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please visit jw.org,” according to the statement.

The woman is represented by Maine attorney Michael Bigos of Berman & Simmons, and California attorney Devin Storey of the Zalkin Firm, who both have specialties in pursuing sexual abuse lawsuits.

“Our client is a survivor of horrible abuse. She was threatened with church disfellowship and adverse consequences in her afterlife if she brought a claim or asked for help outside of the church. Now she realizes that she was not alone. She sought help from medical providers and trauma-informed advocates and is now ready to come forward. She wants to hold her abuser accountable and make her community safer by preventing this from ever happening again. This is not her fault. She is not alone,” Bigos said in a statement Thursday, Oct. 7.

Bigos said the Washington man who molested the young woman remains an elder and is the registered agent for the congregation.

According to the lawsuit, at age 17 the victim wanted to rejoin the Jehovah’s Witnesses along her with then-boyfriend but she was told she would need to recant her abuse allegation.

Advertisement

The lawsuit stated that it was well-known in the congregation during the time of the abuse that the elder was treating her differently than other girls in the congregation. The elder would regularly have her spend the night at his residence in Washington after bible studies at his home. The elder also provided one-on-one bible study to the girl despite a policy that did not permit elders to be alone with minor girls.

The lawsuit also alleges that Watchtower would issue policies to elders and among these recommendations were to report allegations of child molestation to Watchtower rather than law enforcement. The elders should also not warn the congregation of threats posed by an accused child abuser, and the elders should not cooperate when confronted with a search warrant but instead contact Watchtower.

Watchtower had supervision over the elder accused of the molestation at the Rockland Congregation, the lawsuit states.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit