JW's And Mental Health

by AJN 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• richard
    richard

Sorry, my attachment got lost somehow. Guess it's because of my newbie status ...

• alamb
    alamb

Quote from my mother:

"Well, your brother and father and I are on anti-depressants and we're fine. (all JW's). Make yourself a dr. appointment and I will pay to get you something so you can come back to the truth." I'm not kidding.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This article makes some common sense observations that we, as x-dubs, are prone to believe. It may even be right.

However, I am not aware of any study of JW mental health that has ever been performed that I would consider to be statistically accurate. Here's why:

1. JWs with mental problems tend to fail to identify themselves as JWs, so as not to bring reproach on the organization.

2. JWs with mental problems tend to fail to get help, due to fear of psychiatrists and discouragement from the org. These ones go to the elders for help, and so are never diagnosed or counted.

3. Healthy JWs refuse to participate in worldly studies, especially when the potential outcome could be damaging.

4. How do you count a JW? Do you count only active members, like they do? If so, you will miss a large fringe that could be negatively impacted by JW policies. Without an accurate measure of the JW population, on a basis that can be compared to other religions, you cannot say definitively that JWs differ from the rest of the world. Also, persons who are emotionally ill may be more likely to have reduced activity, thereby creating selection bias.

So, I suspect the information is correct. It corresponds with my gut feel, and my own observations, but I don't think there is any study that could truly be considered objective and statistically accurate on this subject.

• AJN
    AJN

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I must say I was surprised to discover a few studies and published thesis written about JW's. I was searching an online uni library (psychinfo) and found 39 such studies regarding JW and mental health. Unfortunately the complete documents weren't online.

At first I didn't anticipate that any studies would have been done as you say running man, as the witnesses try to stay out of worldly studies like that, especially if they could bring discredit to the Organisation.

but I don't think there is any study that could truly be considered objective and statistically accurate on this subject.
    I agree for sure :)
  • richard
    richard

Apparently, not every expert agreed with Spencer's research findings.

See http://home.zonnet.nl/rsingelenberg/spencer.htm

• sf
    sf

AJN,

In the 'jumpbox' here on the forum is a category on this topic specifically; lots of good stuff if you sift through it:

'Blood, Medical attention and depression'...

<< 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >> [newest]

Happy trails!

sKally, knowledge IS power klass

• AJN
    AJN

Hi Richard :)

That was really interesting - good one :) I do have one observation:

Spencer misrepresents the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses about the availability of eternal salvation. They do not deny that some non-Witnesses will attain this state: they merely affirm that only the Witnesses will pass unscathed into the allegedly impending 1,000 year reign of peace and perfection on earth.

isn't entirely correct either? Sounds like the guy needed to do a bit more research. Unless I am mistaken - which I could be lol.

• AJN
    AJN

Hey thanks Skally :) we must have posted at the same time. I'll go check that out.

• jgnat
    jgnat

RunningMan, I have always thought a proper study is needed on the JW - mental health issue. I have even thought on how we might find out. Since I assume most JW's also advise their doctors regarding the "no blood" instruction, couldn't it be a relatively easy task to poll a group of doctors for how many of their "no blood" patients also are on anti-depressants, as compared to the rest of their client caseload?

That would at least settle the issue on whether patients who instruct their doctors that they do not want a blood transfusion are more likely to be on anti-depressants than the regular population.

• wednesday
    wednesday

A lot of jws are ill and taking meds. but i suspect if another study was done that included all fundy type religions and those types, u might find a high percetange of them also on meds. Anytime your worth as a person depends on how much u praise God, sell mags, speak in tongues and so on, u are liable for depression. No one can ever measure up. U are never good enough. I also believe the stress of our modern times causes a lot of depression. Things just move too fast and people are often seperated form their loved mones and wihout a lot of social support. Other cultures have a built in support system by familes living together. We do not tend to do that here in america.

Another aspect is often unstable persons, persons in crisis are drawn to the jws. Many were ill befoer they became jws Socialogists say that people form lower income groups tend to be drawn to religion , to find comfort and explanation for lives misery. More educated people they say, look to psychologists , science and education for the answers.

So i would want to see a study done that included different social levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit