JW's And Mental Health

by AJN 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AJN
    AJN

I've been doing some research this afternoon and come up with some interesting info. Well I think it's interesting because I've not read it before but if these links have been posted before please forgive me.

Here's an interesting abstract:

The mental health of Jehovah's Witnesses

J Spencer

The function of religion in human society is complex. The part played by religion in psychiatric disorders is even more obscure. Previous literature and theories are divided into two groups: one school believes that intense religiosity is a symptom-complex indicative of psychiatric disorder, while the opposing view is that religious belief in some way acts as a defence mechanism protecting the individual and his psyche. The present study of 50 Jehovah's Witnesses admitted to the Mental Health Service facilities of Western Australia suggests that members of this section of the community are more likely to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital than the general population. Furthermore, followers of the sect are three times more likely to be diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia and nearly four times more likely from paranoid schizophrenia than the rest of the population at risk. These findings suggest that being a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses faith may be a risk factor predisposing to a schizophrenic illness. Further studies would be interesting in investigating whether pre-psychotic people are more likely to join the sect than normal people and what part (if any) membership has in bringing about such a breakdown.

More: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/abstract/126/6/556

Summary

It is a common observation among mental health personnel, supported by all published studies, that the mental illness rate among JW's far surpasses that of the population as a whole. Many factors are found to contribute to this - JW's tend to recruit individuals with emotional problems; there is a great deal of pressure to conform within the congregation, and there is a belief structure which clearly causes emotional turmoil. The fact that JW's are recruited from the lower socio-economic statuses of society and tend to seriously alienate and often force out of the movement the more intelligent and better educated members is also highly instruments in contribution to the mental illness rate. Once a JW develops emotional problems he is actively encouraged to avoid accepting "worldly advice" either from secular books or secular mental health personnel. The psychiatric profession as a whole is severely criticized, and Witnesses are encouraged to consult only their Elders, most of whom are poorly equipped to deal with most normal interpersonal relation frictions let alone what be termed neurotic and psychotic maladjustment. In dealing with members, Elders tend to offer poor advice and rely on punitive criticism or threats ("If you do not….you will not survive Armageddon…") to change behavior. This approach typically elicits increased guilt and/or a high level of aggression in the Witnesses. This factor is probably influential in the high rate of aggression crimes found among Witnesses.

More: http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw73.html

Cultic Studies Journal Psychological Manipulation and Society Vol. 14, No. 1, 1997

Wifely Subjection: Mental Health Issues in Jehovah’s Witness Women
    From: http://www.csj.org/pub_csj/csj_vol14_no1_97/abs_wifely.htm

I'll add more if I find them.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I have started to realize this in the past five years or so. My Father who has been a witness for almost 40 years now takes anti-depressant medications. So do many members in his congregation. I can't understand how someone who says they have the truth can have a mental illness. In the seventies and eighties I remember the society hinting that anyone with mental illness is demonized. When I served in Bethel many friends of mine had some sort of mental breakdown which sent them packing home.

I do not laugh or think this situation is funny. I think anyone with an illness especially of an mental illness should get help, put if someone has the truth shouldn't they be meantly fit and happy?

• AJN
    AJN

Yes you would think so wouldn't you.

I've got a few theories. I can well imagine JW's getting depressed when they have questions they are afraid to get answers, things that need explaining, doubts etc. There's also the 'not doing enough' syndrome - you know - where you're told to do more, study more, pray more to find relief from mental health issues.

If these things went unaddressed for too long one might think depression would be the result. Maybe ppl might also get depressed about being depressed, because of the negative judgement placed on it by the society. (I hope that made sense :)

• gumby
    gumby
    The fact that JW's are recruited from the lower socio-economic statuses of society and tend to seriously alienate and often force out of the movement the more intelligent and better educated members is also highly instruments in contribution to the mental illness rate.

Thanks for the info AJN,

I don't see this to be that true at least in the U.S. I see no difference in intellect over other church members of various churches. When I was a witness, I could say the average dub was as smart as the next guy. I do feel that there is a good amount of lower intellect people as a result of canvasing neiborhoods fo find desperate people.

It also seems that dubs have a high ratio of it's members taking medication to cope with their lifestyle they must pursue. I swear.....it seems like everyone my wife knows at the hall, is taking some kinda shit to deal with life.Lot's of them on meds.

Gumby

Gumby

• AJN
    AJN

The wifely subjection one rung a lot of bells for me - how bloody frustrating! Hmm when I think back, I was married when I was a JW but I don't think I took a lot of notice of the subjection thing. There is some kind of driving self-respect that stopped me being like that I think. If I'd been the ideal witness wife and repressed the uncomfortable feelings that arose when I tried it I can understand how that might cause MH problems.

• shamus
    shamus

Excellent article!

There are psychologists that deal soley with Jehovahs Witnesses (ex). At least they do research along with their regular practice and write books... very interesting subject!

• Mac
    Mac

Shamus.......you have balls....I would never interject myself into a post where the words mental and health were used together!!! OOOOOOOppps!!!!

• shamus
    shamus

Mac is a poopie head!

• Mac
    Mac

That's just gel, nutball!

mac

• richard
    richard

Well, not all experts agreed with these research findings

Share this

Google+