Elders harassing me

by raven 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Carry on ignoring them. It is geat shame,tragic, that you have to not tell your mother your new address - but she has made her choice clear. She is a victim, in fact the biggest loser in all this.

Very sad .

• just fine
    just fine

Don't feel bad, for a time I had to not tell my family where I lived for the same reasons. We are on good terms now(as good as it can be with the cult involved). But it took a couple of years of reverse shunning to get the point across. You have to protect yourself from the harassment.

• DJS
    DJS

Raven,

As we expected. They will DF you whether you respond or not. You have a chance to mitigate that if you get a lawyer to send them a cease and desist type of letter. But as far as this has proceeded even that is doubtful.

Stuff we told you 2 months ago.

If you don't care whether they DF you, ignore them. Or tell them to eff off, and your little dog too, I mean your mother.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Probably easier on you if you don't get DF'd. Question becomes, what is the best way to accomplish that? Answer depends on what they have in the way of Witnesses, what exactly you've told your mother or others, etc.

I would not be inclined to acknowledge they have any authority over you whatsoever. If there were some way to send their letter back as undeliverable with no forwarding address, that would be ideal. Otherwise, I think I'd probably just ignore it. If you talk with your mom, I would not admit that you received any letter.

The whole point here being that you probably have at least some JW family and friends you'd still like to have contact with from time to time. If that is not the case, I don't think what you do matters to much.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Sir 82 said "getting an attorney to write them a scary letter threatening a lawsuit if they announce your name as "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses".

Is a good idea.

The attorney could also note that you left the congregation six months ago and that you terminated your membership and in fact you are 100's of miles away.

if your name is used to indicate that you are no longer a JW....... it will be possible to show slander since that expression is used for anyone who is DF be it someone who has left the church for their principles or one who has committed serious criminal acts as well as JW pedophiles.

Getting the Society involved may put an end to their interest in going after you 100's of miles a way.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Will your mother shun you when you are announced as not being a JW or if you are disfellowshipped in the absence of attending a jc? It surely is not going to help her if you are unable to speak to her.

Is she just using the DF threat to try get you back as a JW? If so it's a hopeless course of action since humans want liberty not slavery to a crummy religious cult.

The main thing is that you are able to live happily on your own terms... ignore those idiotic JW elder zombies or tell them to grow up and get a life.

All the best to you Raven.

• raven
    raven

@Half banana - She is already shunning me.. Shame

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Hang in there. It's sad, but your mother cares more about the brownie points she is making with the elders than her relationship with you. You have moved far away and cut ties with those people, why does she feel obligated to tell them anything at all about you. If anyone would ask about you, all she would have to say is you are doing well and leave it at that. She has betrayed you by giving them personal information. Good for you with the decision to NOT give her your new address. If the elders keep this up, if you do consult an attorney, have them add a stalking charge while they are at it. Be strong, be thankful you have a good BF (hopefully) and make new friends, do good things with your life. 🌈

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Raven, I'm so sorry you are being harassed and subjected to emotional blackmail. This is the letter my attorney mailed to the elder bodies of the two congregations I formerly attended locally. I modified a letter from this site to suit my situation. I didn't want to disassociate (play by their rules), nor did I want to deal with the repercussions of living in a small town as disfellowshipped.

They did not announce anything from the platform. Local dubs still make small talk when we cross paths. Of course, there is pre-emptive shunning going on, since I'm seen as "inactive" and "spiritually weak", so no one initiates contact with me. I expected that. At least I don't have to deal with public shunning. I just smile and ignore the pleas to "return to Jehovah".

Thankfully, I haven't run into any of the dozen or so elders I threatened to sue. When I was still in, the majority of elders were imported from other territories to "assist" the congregation, so they don't live nearby. Small town rural New England with no real employment opportunities and high property values doesn't attract the typical JW family.

Maybe if they don't announce your name your mother won't shun you. Only time will tell. Because your mom is taking this to the elders, it may be too late, especially after she attends to this year's R.C.

My attorney was so flabbergasted that this goes on that he sent the letters pro bono.

Wishing you happiness and freedom,

Diane

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/436340001/matter-conscience-am-resigning-from-christian-congregation-jehovahs-witnesses

Edit to add: Sorry, I see that you just posted that your mom is already shunning you!

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Tell them you have been recording them and will continue . Even during a JC.

You need the recording for your Lawyer. Also tell them you feel attacked by

them and feel suicidal because of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit