ESPN reassigns commentator Robert Lee over 'name coincidence'

by freemindfade 19 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Wish this was fake news, but its not.

For everyone thinking whats the big deal with Marxists anarchists forcibly pulling down old offensive statues, this is the slippery slope we are walking onto... fools... please read 1984 people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41022954

ESPN has removed a sports commentator from covering an American football game in Charlottesville because he has the same name as Civil War General Robert E Lee.

• never a jw
    never a jw

"For everyone thinking whats the big deal with Marxists anarchists forcibly pulling down old offensive statues, this is the slippery slope we are walking onto"

Last time I checked, general Lee fought to preserve slavery. Great general and a man of courage and integrity, but he defended slavery. Time to make corrections to misguided traditions, just as we do with religion. Maybe the "Marxists" got it right. I am willing to listen to a cogent argument to defend memorializing pro-slavery figures, if there is one.

• Simon
    Simon

Can you not read? They are impacting someone's work and career just because his name sounds similar.

That is INSANE.

It's nothing to do with protecting people from genuine offence, it's pandering to utter morons.

Should people called Robert Lee be forced to change their names? Will the left provide a list of people who they want to be revoked?

What about those who find people called Mohammed offensive - because it reminds them of the slave owning, serial-killing, child-raping monster?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Shameful. This reminds me of the study that showed people with names that sound black that have the same qualifications as their white counterparts are less likely to even get callbacks for interviews. Or women are less likely to get hired out of fear they will get preggo

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    What about those who find people called Mohammed offensive - because it reminds them of the slave owning, serial-killing, child-raping monster?

Well that's ok, because his skin was brownish, so he immediately should get a pass at committing any atrocities he wants.

This is just an example of the lack of balls corporate executives have these days. They quickly pander to any person who complains. And in this case, it's a preemptive move just in case some idiot out there will find offensive that this poor man happens to have this name.

And what is exactly is the term for being discriminated based on your name? Let the paranoia set in..

• never a jw
    never a jw

"Can you not read?"

Yes, I can, and decided to take a tangent.

Back to the main point. ESPN is reacting to crazies, who in principle may be right, but their conduct is extreme. ESPN needs to protect its employees and its name from idiots who can't make distinctions. It's a business decision. Times change. Just sit down and watch the show with the comfort that most of us are not part of radicals in the right or the left. And yes, it's the moderates who hold the power, but have to please loonies on both sides from time to time. It's politics as usual, with a moral compass always moving in the direction where the "magnetic field" is stronger". You may be part of a passing generation.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Never a JW had the right of this or perhaps I should say the center. I don't see anything liberal in this nor conservative. What this amounted to was a dumb corporate decision..... the kind that turns a net work like ESPN into a laughing stock.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

This story is just beyond ridiculous. Pandering to the extreme left has become the norm @ ESPN and other media outlets.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I am willing to listen to a cogent argument to defend memorializing pro-slavery figures, if there is one.

Let me ask a question, do you think most of these "kids" flipping out over these statues would even know who they hell they were? Forget Lee, any of the Confederate statues that are being taken down? I bet most have no clue who is what. I think the point of this whole exercise (pulling down statues) is not to eliminate hate, but to make a point. As I said before, it is virtue flag waving and self serving before anything else.

When Rome converted to Christianity, it's my understanding most the old pagan statues were either absorbed into the new norm or repurposed as someone else. What's the point? They weren't trying to split Rome in half. When the dipshit likes of Antifa get involved, it's less about "slavery" and more about testing the limits of suppressing free speech and expression. Everyone who makes this a slavery/racism issues is WAY oversimplifying it. No one denies what General Lee was, most sane people are in fact NOT racist. Defending freedom to offend is not an endorsement of its message.

What ever happened to do "don't feed the trolls"? There will probably forever be a small band of white hate idiots, there is no Jehalapeno coming to make the world perfect, so there are no bad people and we can all pet pandas. Most likely these statues would have come down in a different way, maybe moved to a museum that memorialized mistakes of America's past, who knows, maybe they would have put someone else name on them. The point is we are speeding down a dangerous road of censorship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit