The Rainbow as a sign to Noah

by Simon 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I believe that in the ancient story of the Epic of Gilgamesh which predates the bible that the Sea God promises not to attack the earth with a flood again and as a sign, hang's his bow in the sky. Many believe that some elements of the Noah story have been borrowed from this earlier work.

• toddy
    toddy

I asked my j.w friend,or should i say ex friend about noahs ark,i wanted to know what all the meat eating animals ate when they left the ark.Her reply was that they became non meat eating animals and only ate vegetation.
    I also asked her about the ostrich,and why they have wings yet can't fly?
    Also how big would the ark have to have been to hold all these animals and everything else, food etc...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Clearly the biblical flood story is a myth and not even an original myth. You could fill a book with the reasons why it couldn't be true (as I'm sure somebody has) but possibly the most amazing thing about it is that it didn't work - at all. OK, it wiped out most of humanity but a few years later, (probably within Noah's own lifetime!) Noah's great-grandson and his cohorts were threatining YHWH by building a tower "with its top in the heavens." To combat this new threat, YHWH then had to confuse people's languages. Not much of a god, is he? More like a petty tyrant.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

AlanF,
    Interesting research on the document the Society used to support their belief.
    It doesn't really matter to me since I don't believe the Bible is inspired.
    I did find it interesting when I was in Europe, I believe I was in a Cathredral in Rome, I saw a statue hanging on a stake, above it the inscription read "stauros". I was still an active witness then, so I found that really exciting.
    Knowing though that the documentation used had 3/4 of the depictions as actual crosses is interesting.
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit