The Rainbow as a sign to Noah

by Simon 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know if this has ever been brought out - I just thought of it:

The bible tells us that it rained for forty days and forty nights.
    It stopped raining and Noah & co floated around for a bit.
    When they landed, Noah sacrificed some of the animals (weren't they in short supply?) and God promised never to bring a deluge upon then earth again.
    To back this up, there was a rainbow in the sky as a sign.

Now, what causes a rainbow? Sun and... rain !

To back up his promise that he wouldn't bring another deluge Jehovah apparently started the rain again.

Was this taking the piss or what ?? Poor Noah, I bet he was seriously pissed as well as being piss wet through.

• philo
    philo

I think the deeper message being given in that scripture was don't believe yachting tales.

philo

• patio34
    patio34

Simon,

The things we read right over! The Bible seems to be full of 'em! Thanks!

The only time I have seen a rainbow is right after a storm has let up, but the sky is still dark, but the sun peeps out and makes a rainbow in the little rain left coming down.

Thanks!

Pat

• unanswered
    unanswered

simon, interesting thought! one point i had not thought of before was the what you said about the sacrifices and the animals being in short supply. doesn't really mesh, does it? if there were only enough of each species to start breeding up again, surely there weren't enough to sacrifice. hmmmmm. i can't believe i missed that before, thanks for starting my wheels turning again on this one.-nate

• thinker
    thinker

This is one of my favorites! This is what really happened: some guy sees the arc of colors in the sky, knows it's magical because it appears and disappears. The sky, he KNOWS is heaven. The arc is bent like a bow (no arrows). Must be God's weapon hanging peacefully on the wall of heaven. Presto! Story of great flood follows. The End.
    Besides, we all know a genesis day is 7000 yrs. long, so the flood lasted 280,000 yrs. God also had to drown out the evil Nephalim caused by horny angels and evil earth women.

• jezebel influence
    jezebel influence

Didnt they throw in some extra animals for the purpose of sacrificing?

And it had never rained befor thus had never seen a rainbow befor.

JEZ

• Loki
    Loki

A couple of really good points Simon. Must have been selective sacrificing - only the ones they took seven of. Mind you, I have often wondered about the "two of" thing - if a species gets down to very low numbers it becomes threatened; not enough genetic diversity.

Guess that gets put in the "Jehovah has the answers" box

Loki

• somebody
    somebody

Simon,

That is an interesting thought. I always thought that the rainbow was a promise from God that the earth would never be destroyed by FLOOD/RAIN again. Not that it wouldn't be destroyed again. That explained to me why the Paradise book and the truth book and all the rest had fire and bombs in them. Not rain. I have to read the Hebrew scriptures again, because I never knew that Noah sacraficed all the animals. I've been so preoccupied with the Greek scriptures and the whole reason WHY God gave his Son's life for all humans and the purpose, that I've neglected the Hebrew scriptures. It'll be a long haul!

peace,
    somebody
    PS.... I LOVE when I see rainbows after storms!

• Francois
    Francois

Lemme try this on you guys and see what you think.

In Noah's time, there weren't many people on earth at all. And they all lived close together along the Euphrates River close to where life started. Irrigation was no problem. Family was close. You get the picture.

Noah was a smart guy. Watched nature all the time since there wasn't any TV yet. Kept a close eye on things. Noticed that the river went up and down with the seasons. Some seasons more than others. After decades of watching the river, he noticed a culminating series of events that seemed to presage an unnaturally high river stage on its way the coming spring. We do that now with the Mississippi River, and other rivers too, don't we? We know way in advance when it's going to come out of its banks.

Noah sees the signs. He knows the river the coming Spring is going to come way high. So Noah builds a big barge on which to put his family and his livestock. His friends and neighbors, who aren't into studying river dynamics, laugh at him. People always do laugh at stuff they don't understand. Noah is undaunted.

Spring comes. The river rises. And when it gets close to coming out of its banks, Noah puts his family on the barge and waits until the river goes down. Lots of people are killed in the flood. But not everyone. People talk. They did. And just like the child's game where a sentence is whispered to the first kid in a line to be passed on down to the last kid - where it doesn't even resemble the original, the story of Noah grew and grew and grew.

Now the WT says that there's a flood story in every society on earth. Even among those who live in deserts. Well, if everyone at Noah's time lived near the river, it does make sense that when they migrated all over the earth, they took their flood story with them. (Duh.)

So we can see that there's a simple explanation for the story of Noah. And the story gets God off the hook as a mass murderer. We make a big mistake when we swallow all these fanciful stories evolved out of human nature and the arrogance of Jewish secular history all tricked out as some revelation of God's relationship with his so-called chosen people.

How'd I do?

Francois

• patio34
    patio34

You did good, Francoise. Except the Sumerians, who existed before the Hebrews and their writings (Abraham was a Sumerian from Ur), had a myth about a flood, along with a paradise, a king pulled out of a river when a babe (Sargon), a serpent, a rib, etc.

So, to many scholars, it appears that the Hebrews' many Bible tales were borrowed and edited from the Sumerians and other peoples in the area.

That is, before they moved in and committed mass genocide.

Pat

"All religion dies of the same disease, that of being found out."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit