The day the music died.

by Fisherman 28 Replies latest social entertainment

• Riley
    Riley

My musical gems over the past 25 or so years.

1999- At at the Drive in.

2001-ish- White Stripes.

2019- Power Trip.

I have discovered bands and artist long after the their prime and in some cases after they were dead.

My Bloody Valentine

Joy Division

Humm

My hidden gems have been few and far between though.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

@Riley

If you like that My Bloody Valentine wall of guitar sound, check out RIDE and Catherine Wheel. Same early 90's scene. As far as RIDE, stick to 'Nowhere' and 'Going Blank Again'. The 2 albums after those are not terrible, but they are not at all representative of what initially brought them to notice. They kind of abandoned the shoegaze swirly distorted guitar stuff and tried to jump on the britpop bandwagon.

• Riley
    Riley

Thanks.

Will do Gabe.

I love listening to my bloody valentine concerts on YouTube. I would just live to be hit by that wall of total noise.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Pop music these days seems like crap. Just the same chords, autotuned, formulaic, no variety or talent needed. If you were to require all current "artists" to produce their next album with the following stipulations: 1) no synthetic drum beats, especially that fucking ticking high hat sound, 2) no autotune, sing your own song, 3) write your own song, 4) and you must actually play an instrument.

Just those four thing would clear the field, except for maybe 2 artists?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Geeze Gabe ,give me a break I`m old but not that old ? ?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I went to a small mall and parked my car next to a cell phone store. And they were blasting this “ music “ non stop. It was so disturbing and sickening. I think it called Spanish “ragiton”. Got to the point of being so annoyed listening to that sickening noise, I just had to run out of there for relief and peace if mind. How in the world can people get any pleasure from something that causes disturbance but some people do enjoy harm so that explains it.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy listening to MUSIC from other countries too.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse
    Pop music these days seems like crap. Just the same chords, autotuned, formulaic, no variety or talent needed. If you were to require all current "artists" to produce their next album with the following stipulations: 1) no synthetic drum beats, especially that fucking ticking high hat sound, 2) no autotune, sing your own song, 3) write your own song, 4) and you must actually play an instrument.

Aside from autotune, this statement would apply to any decade since the dawn of recorded music. Same for movies and television. In hindsight we remember the good stuff and forget that 90% was always crap.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

we remember the good stuff and forget that 90% was always crap.

I agree that we didn’t like every song and movie decades ago but we respected it. And we could look forward to new hits and bands and great movies all the time. —Its all over now. Unless you can point to something of worth nowdays.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Fisherman:

Yeah, movies too. The default, for me, is 'not good'. For pop music, the default is 'crap'. Movie and music studios aren't looking for great sounds and great stories. They have corporate formulas.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

Its all over now. Unless you can point to something of worth nowdays.

I can't because I dont know what your tastes are. One thing I do dislike about the current music scene is that it has returned to being singles dominated. I liked the LP format of putting something on and listening to the entire 60 minutes from start to finish. When done well it created a mood and you thought "well of course that song should logically follow this song. How else could it be?" Bands still do it but it's more of an afterthought. Why bother obsessing about track order when the tracks are just gonna be streamed randomly on Spotify or whatever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit