The day the music died.

by Fisherman 28 Replies latest social entertainment

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Is there any new music or singers whatsoever nowadays or just junk? And how about movies, besides documentaries is there anything at all, any movie at all, any new actor at all that that has any real worth to watch and enjoy or is it all a boring waste of time.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Mostly, I think it is.........

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Fishy - Is there any new music or singers whatsoever nowadays or just junk?

It depends on personal taste, I think. I tend to listen to music that is not in the 'charts(tm)'. Popular music is just a product of an industry telling the public what they have to listen to. It's almost musical fascism.

And how about movies, besides documentaries is there anything at all, any movie at all, any new actor at all that that has any real worth to watch and enjoy or is it all a boring waste of time.

I actually agree with you since it has no question mark at the end. I haven't seen anything recently that has wowed me. Movies are too long and bland.

I saw a documentary last week about Stonehenge. They went from questioning how it was built to telling you how it was built. Utter supposition and lies. I turned it off half way through.

I tend to watch older fiction.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Free to air TV drives me nuts ,I try not to watch much of that except for doco`s or current affairs and the news.I like some foreign movies / TV series on SBS or Netflix Stan and so forth.

Music ? To me the forties ,fifties and sixties were the best years to listen to .

Whatever happened to the big bands of yesteryear ? The likes of Glenn Miller , Tommy Dorsey ,Benny Goodman etc,etc.

OK I`m showing my age now.

• waton
    waton

Music ? To me the forties , fifties and sixties were the best years to listen to

new "music"? oldies: adios, perfidia.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That's when you know you've reached one of those "age" milestones, when you gripe that the old stuff was the best. I remember when I was young and we'd roll our eyes at the old folks telling us that today's music was garbage, not like the golden age of the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc.

Now I listen to 70s, 80s, and 90s music on YouTube, and I see comments about how today's music is garbage, not like the golden age of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and so on. And I keep catching myself about to nod, but I know it's inevitable. I just don't want to think that I'm that far along in the cycle...

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse
    Whatever happened to the big bands of yesteryear ? The likes of Glenn Miller , Tommy Dorsey ,Benny Goodman etc,etc.

Well, Glenn Miller's plane was either shot down or crashed over the English Channel in WW2. Congrats on your upcoming 100th birthday, smiddy3. You should hit the town in your zoot suit for old times sake.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

just junk

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There are good movies and music made. It is just hard to find. Romance stories ( not romantic, look it up), and folk ( people music) are timeless

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse
    And how about movies, besides documentaries is there anything at all, any movie at all, any new actor at all that that has any real worth to watch and enjoy or is it all a boring waste of time.

As far as mainstream movies go, I'm really sick of the focus on franchises over the past decade. I have zero interest in super hero movies and it seems like there is constantly some new one. But movies, as with music, there's still good stuff to be found. The past seems like it was better because our minds filter out all the crap that was 90% of pop culture in decades past and just remember the good stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit