"It's the demons..."

by pale.emperor 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Sowhatnow You have a witch in your family? So do I, she's called a mother in law! But really, I agree that it was around a lot in the 60's, you weren't even supposed to think about such things because it would invite the demons in. Funny how Witnesses feel this way when so many are dependent on Goodwill for their wardrobes.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Now, I'm not saying it was demons...

x

xxxxxxx...but it was demons."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    If I was able to acquire a Ouija board and still be ignored by the Demons, and that with wanting nothing to do with joke-hova, then I don't think you have anything to worry about with Demons. You might, however, have issues with angels trying to coerce you into doing more for joke-hova, or to keep you from getting things that are in fine condition and you can enjoy. (And to make people go out more in field circus and quit skipping boasting sessions.)
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

JWs are amongst the most superstitious people there are.

One I didn't include in my Millions Now Living book..........

• fulano
    fulano
    What about the stories about viewers of " the exorcist" when it came out. Now my 15 years old daughter sees it and laughs.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Demons are not even mentioned much in the old testament and the devil was just an adversary not really evil. It was in the new testament that these characters got going most likely do to the influence of the Persian religion.
  • bradford
    bradford

I had a ridiculous conversation out in service once with a Ministerial Servant, 2 elders, and my wife. I brought up the topic because I had heard a group of crazy pioneer sisters talking about not doing yard sales because you never know what is linked to demons.

I asked the group what their thoughts were on it. They were all adament that you should steer clear of 2nd hand items. And these were some of the more logical witnesses I knew.

So I pull out my phone and go to the Insight book and read it to the group:

Insight Book under the topic DEMONS: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/pc/r1/lp-e/1200271624/14/0

"Though evidently restrained from materializing, they still have great power and influence over the minds and lives of men, even having the ability to enter into and possess humans and animals, and the facts show that they also use inanimate things such as houses, fetishes, and charms.—Mt 12:43-45; Lu 8:27-33; see DEMON POSSESSION."

I then read the two reference scriptures. The reference to "houses" was talking about a person, not a literal house. There was no mention of fetishes or charms. Hence, there were no "facts" to show anything. I then asked them their opinion. Then they started with the stories that they heard.

I said "That is fine. You can choose to believe the stories but normally we just go by what the scriptures say, and I don't see anything about possessing anything other than people."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Anyone know where this belief came from?

Yes quite easily out of the ignorance and fear propagated into people's imaginative consciousness instilled by religious ideologies of there actually being a supernatural spirits.

All throughout human history shows in many distinctly separate civilizations, that this has been developed out the inherent ignorance and knowledge of the world in which we live and was created from that source..

Why after all what mankind has acquired in knowledge of the world in which we live is spiritualism still propagated is based largely upon religious institutions who are wanting to use that imposing fear to control and circumvent their own power over others.

So fear and ignorance is advantageous as a means of exploitation and one can even see this in the JWS religion.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The account in the Bible of the demons who were cast into a heard of swine and they all ran off a cliff, gives them license to say that if demons can inhabit swine they can inhabit anything.

Back in the day, it was common belief that demons were lurking inside inanimate objects and were waiting for unsuspecting JW's to come along so they could "demonize" them. As a kid during Halloween, I used to ask why our neighbors or the kids at school weren't demonized by the ghosts, ghouls and jack-o-lanterns they had as decorations on their houses and kept in their closets all year. I was told that Satan already has them in his clutches and wants to get us away from Jehovah and he is like a "roaring lion seeking to devour knowing he has little time left."

Magical thinking is part a parcel of the JW mindset. Living forever in paradise with lions that play with beach balls, the idea that Jehovah is watching them at all times and is sad when they miss a meeting and the entire world and an evil spirit enemy is plotting to get them makes them feel that they are the center of the universe because of their special religion .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They're everywhere!

EVERYWHERE!!!

x

x

Oh, wait, that's stupid people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit