Quick Story

by APieceOfShitNamedTate 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

So one night I'm at a meeting. It's the beginning of the meeting and a brother is up on stage introducing the parts for the night. He's going through the parts and then he says, "...and APieceOfShitNamedTate will be handling our Bible Highlights."

I had forgotten all about this, so I start to panic inside while still trying to look calm on the outside. Outside I looked as cool as a cucumber, but inside I'm like "WTF!!!" So I get up from my seat and I manage to slip out the door without being seen. You should've seen me crank up my car and speed off the parking lot. I decide to just wait it out until everything blows over. I show up 45 minutes later playing dumb like "Who? Me? You mean I had the Bible Highlights? How could that be? There must've been a mistake. Gosh-darn that human imperfection!" I was still PIMI by the way.

So yeah. That's my quick story.

• blondie
    blondie

At least you left, I knew one brother who stayed and said he could not/would not do it, so the school overseer had to do it (the rule in that congregation was that the SO had to be prepared to give any part any night).

Then there was the brother who got up and winged it, he did not fool anyone in the audience that he was any where near prepared.

That is how the religious restaurant of jws can be run. The chef/server cuts out, or stays and serves the wrong food and/or half-cooked.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

lol Remind me of something that happened to me when I was still in high school, I think I was 17 at the time. Now mind you I wasn't baptized either but was unbaptized publisher (I grew up in the religion). We had just recently moved to this new congregation, about a couple months before. It was winter, so I was wearing my thick blue dress coat, so you couldn't see what I was wearing underneath. I walk through the door, and a ministerial servant pulled me aside and handing me a slip of paper, telling me that Sister So and So did not show up, and I would be filling in for her on her 5 minute part. At the time I just didn't know how to tell people no. So for the first part of the meeting, till it was my time to do this part with another sister, I was frantically working up this part. I don't remember what the part was all about, but what I was wearing, I don't think anyone paid attention to what I was saying, but rather what I was wearing on stage. It was a real clash of colors and the worst ensemble that I was wearing that night.

I was wearing an oversize knitted sweater in the brightest shade of neon orange, and for the skirt was the brightest neon shade of blue, and yes it was extremely painful to look at. Yes, I had a very odd sense of style when I was a teen. My mom would always buy me the worst article of clothing, so I turned it into a work of art. Let's just say that was the last time that anyone ever popped something on me at the last moment.

This is to give you an idea of what I was wearing that night. I'm surprised I found a picture of the exact sweater.

The skirt was the same shade of blue as the square next to it.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

@Tameria2001: If your experience happened in the 80s then your outfit probably wasn't too out of place. It's just embarrassing by today's standards.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate
    @Blondie: Most of the parts I've given were basically slapped together a couple of hours beforehand. No matter how long I have to prepare, I always wait until the day of to work up some material.
  • blondie
    blondie

I knew one brother who thought he was so capable and special, that it could whip up a talk in 5 minutes. Wrong, he would spend the whole time commending the congregation on how fine they were and throw in some general comments about serving god. It was painful to listen to. Like watching a certain public person go off the carefully prepared script from their PR people.

• tiki
    tiki

In the cong eons ago...the school overseer would ensure all with parts were present and prepared...if not he would at beginning of meeting ask for volunteer fillins.....I used to do it sometimes...easy enough to spew off the info when you've been hearing it over and over again for you whole life....if no volunteers the sch ov had to cover himself. I remember one vainglorious moronic pio sis who loved to fill in.....she was so bad it was sad.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Seldom did anyone show up to prepare presentations beforehand when I had parts. I hated it. They always winged it. I got used to the apathy and started to do the same.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

OMG when I was the school overseer, I used to get that crap all the time. I hated covering other people's parts - sometimes I would just summarize and move along, if the part was 15 mins I'd bang it out in about 7 and keep the schedule moving.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

What if the brother actually said "APieceOfShitNamedTate will be handling our Bible Highlights."?

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit