The most successful teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses and an amazing new book on the divine name

by slimboyfat 332 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Jehovah's Witnesses have had to revise their chronology and various doctrinal interpretations due to events and scholarly corrections - SBF

When did "scholarly corrections" ever factor in JW beliefs? They have moved their end-time predictions more times than you can count because of one thing - failure.

the one teaching where they have been consistently ahead of the curve is the importance of Jehovah's name

"Jehovah's name"! Talk about begging the question.

the phenomenal success of this teaching

"Penomenal"? The use of the divine name in the early church remains speculative. It was never "Jehovah" at any time. How exactly does this amount to a "phenomenal success"?

"in the last days".

What last days exactly? Have you taken leave of your senses?

to champion his name at this crucial time if they did not enjoy his blessing and support?

What "crucial time"?

What evidence do you see of god's blessing and support?

Is it the failed prophecies? The lies, deceit and cover-ups? The thousands of cases of child sexual abuse and their on-going refusal to accept responsibility? The tens of thousands who have died from lack of essential blood transfusions based on a facile interpretation of the bible? The constant begging for money? The closure of branches and kingdom halls? The betrayal of long-time Bethelites? The cruel breaking-up of families?

Is this the sort of evidence of blessings you had in mind?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

SBF

Always posts interesting and worthwhile reading information -and well written too.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Sorry haven’t read all the posts here. But I have a basic question. If Jehovah is the most high in this Universe, why did his name disappear from the Bible for almost 1875 years, until CT Russel had to restore it.

An Almighty god cannot protect his name in his own book ? Highly suspicious.

Majority of the people on earth today still haven't heard of Jehovah and only give a blank stare when told about it. Not only now, it has been this same state since WT was founded. And what is the use of these Field service at all ?

In my honest opinion, if Jehovah is really an almighty God, his name should be as explicit as the sun or moon, where nobody can deny it. Pages and pages of debate like this won’t be necessary.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The preface to the Revised Standard version makes some interesting points in explaining its decision against its use of the transliterated tetragrammaton: "for two reasons the Committees that produced the RSV and the NRSV returned to the more familiar usage of the King James Version. (1) The word "Jehovah" does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew. (2) The use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom the true God had to be distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church."

• never a jw
    never a jw

Slim,

Of course there's a connection between Judaism and Christianity. Jesus was a Jew. But very rapidly these religions grew apart. Therefore we have to adhere to the oldest writings of each religion and their evolution if we want obtain the original intent of the author. You can speculate all day long, but at the end of the day you have to stick to the evidence. The NT does not contain God's name, whatever the reason. Perhaps it was so sacred that it shouldn't even be said or written. So a true Christian, according to the evidence from the oldest NT books, should not be flaunting God's name as JW's do. Some of the most recent and respected translators of the Bible do not use "Jehovah" in the OT because they know was not intended by the original writers. And obviously, in the NT the translators don't use any name of God at all because they are forced to stick to the evidence. Evidence should matter.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Room 215,

My point exactly. Of course Slim uses the "logic" of JW's . JW's found one guy who wrote Jesus was not crucified and turned that into a "fact". Slim finds speculation from three scholars and takes it as if it's gospel. Pun intended.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    no one really knows how to completely spell or accurately pronounce the name that is represented by the tetragrammaton: יְהֹוָה

Every scholar I have read or heard discuss the Hebrew God pronounce it Yahweh.

I was taking a look here and it seems that the best pronunciation is YAHWEH rather then the Jehovah
    Jehovah = YHWH + the vowels of Adoni
    It was the result of a misunderstanding of a medieval Catholic scholar.

3091. Yehoshua

Original Word: יְהוֹשׁ֫וּעַ

Jehoshua (short form: Joshua)

Joshua 1:1 And it came about after the death of Moses the servant of Jehovah[3068] that Jehovah[3068] proceeded to say to Joshua[3091] the son of Nun, the minister of Moses:

2424. Iésous

Original Word: Ἰησοῦς

Jesus

Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua[2424] had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day.

Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you must call his name Jesus[2424], for he will save his people from their sins.

3068. Yhvh

Original Word: יְהֹוָה

Deuteronomy 6:16 “YOU must not put Jehovah[3068] YOUR God[430] to the test, the way YOU put him to the test at Mas´sah.

Luke 4:12 In answer Jesus[2424] said to him: “It is said, ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’”

430. elohim

Original Word: אֱלֹהִים

God

136. Adonay

Original Word: אֲדֹנָי

Lord

Jeremiah 1:6 But I said: “Alas, O Sovereign Lord[136] Jehovah[3068]! Here I actually do not know how to speak, for I am but a boy.”

Joel 2:31 The sun itself will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and fear-inspiring day of Jehovah[3068]. And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah[3068] will get away safe;

Acts 2:20 the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and illustrious day of Jehovah arrives. 21 And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”’

3050. Yah

Original Word: יָהּ

Jah

Exodus 15:2 My strength and my might is Jah[3050], since he serves for my salvation. This is my God, and I shall laud him; my father’s God, and I shall raise him on high.

Isaiah 12:2 Look! God is my salvation. I shall trust and be in no dread; for Jah[3050] Jehovah[3068] is my strength and my might, and he came to be the salvation of me.”

3092. Yehoshaphat

Original Word: יְהוֹשָׁפָט

Jehoshaphat

3414. Yirmeyah

Original Word: יִרְמְיָה

Jeremiah

Yah/Jah - e,o,a

Yhvh

Yehovah Yehoshua

Jehovah Jehoshua

• johnamos
    johnamos

Unable to edit my above post. There are a number of things that didn't come out right as far as colors and bolden letters that I feel would help make what I posted clear. Also the links are not suppose to be there and they are not correct. (don't know how they appeared like that) Anyway, hope that what is meant to be shown here can still get through to those that can reason.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Johnamos,

I knew it. It was God himself (Joshua) who killed thousands to steal their land (the promised land).

What's worse? to kill thousands or to order to kill thousands? Both are pretty bad. Don't know

• never a jw
    never a jw

johnamos: "the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and illustrious day of Jehovah arrives"

We have three of those (called eclipses) every year. I can make predictions like that every day. The difference is that my prediction will happen. Let's try:

"the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the Summer Olympics arrives"

Talk to you in three years

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit